Angelfish I-Holacanthus

emperor11

Hello all, since there hasn't been many "Informational" threads on here lately, I thought I'd pitch in and try to make one. Well, that's not entirely true, all of the threads on here are informational, but you all know what I mean. Today I'm going to focus on my favorite genus of all marine creatures...the Angelfish. More specifically, the Holacanthus Species. Most likely, I will make an Informational thread on the Pomacanthus, Centropyge (dwarf angels), Chaetodontoplus, Paracentropyge (dwarf angels), Pygoplites, Genicanthus, and Apolemichthys.
Holacanthus species are very popular with aquarists for one reason...they're absolutely gorgeous. However, what they don't know is the size that many of these angels can reach. The Rock Beauty can reach up to 24" in the wild. This is one extreme, the other extreme is with the Clarion which only reaches 7.8" in the wild. These species are not difficult to keep-if you know what you're doing. Rock Beauty Angels feed primarily on algae and the slime coats of other fishes as juveniles, but as they turn into adults, their intake of sponge becomes much larger, until it makes up 97% of their diet. Same is true with the Queen Angelfish.
Angels are also known for their "attitude." But IMO, this is what makes them so much fun. Many have absolutely wonderful personalities, and can become quite personable. Many feed on Benthic Invertebrates, Hydroids, Sponges, Tunicates, and Bryozoans as staple foods.
These species are quite abundant among volcanic rocks and coral islands. I personally, keep a Rock Beauty Angelfish.
Below are all the species in the Genus...
1. Guinean Angelfish (Holacanthus Africanus)
2. Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris)
3. Clarion Angelfish (Holacanthus Clarionensis)
4. Blue Angelfish (Holacanthus Bermudensis, formerly known as Holacanthus Isabelita)
5. Clipperton Angelfish (Holacanthus Limbaughi)
6. King Angelfish (Holacanthus Passer)
7. Rock Beauty Angelfish (Holacanthus Tricolor)

emperor11

Please let me know if you have any specific questions regarding any individual species. I put this together in a hurry, and most likely, forgot to mention a lot. LOL I'll try to post pics of each individual species in a bit.

emperor11

1. Queen Angelfish (adult)
2. Guinean Angelfish (adult)
3. Clarion Angelfish (juvenile)
4. King Angelfish (adult)
5. Rock Beauty Angelfish (adult)

oceanbreez

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Let me know what you guys think!
is this all one tank or different tanks? I heard it's not good to have more
than one angel. Is that true?

emperor11

Originally Posted by OceanBreez
is this all one tank or different tanks? I heard it's not good to have more
than one angel. Is that true?
Huh?? The only angel I have right now is a Rock Beauty Angelfish. None of those pictures are mine...I got them from the net. You can keep more than one angel IF 1)your tank is very large 2)they are radically different in size and 3)they are of a different species. For example, you can keep a Pomacanthus (pacific large angels...most of them anyway) with a Centropyge (dwarf) or a Holacanthus with a Pomacanthus, or a Euxiphipops with a Pygoplites. You see what I'm getting at?

emperor11

Thanks guys...I'll try to edit it later and put more detail into it when I get some time...I am working on the biggest project of my life right now at school.