Animated avitars? No longer allowed?

aquaknight

I imagine some of it isn't SWF's fault. For whatever reason, the influx of spam over the last months probably caused it. Would imagine it would be pretty easy to create a .gif endorsing a competitor's site or just some random spam site trying to suck your money and information.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2650149
I imagine some of it isn't SWF's fault. For whatever reason, the influx of spam over the last months probably caused it. Would imagine it would be pretty easy to create a .gif endorsing a competitor's site or just some random spam site trying to suck your money and information.
Never saw any of those floating around, but I noticed alot of the gifs ended up being a little inappropriate for swf standards. Maybe they just got tired of supporting the various formats.

digitydash

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2649847
because SWF.com is becoming commercial, not the secluded community we once were. Now they are doing a lot of things to get more and more members. this is going to end up like a "central reef" forum and people will start leaving it and reverting back to "small town" forums.
its like this pizza place inn my neighborhood.
a year ago it was $5 for a large one topping pizza if you picked it up monday-thursday, and orders over $10 got you a free 2 liter of soda. Now it is $6.50 for a large cheese pick-up mon-thursday, and $2.75 for each additional topping. No more free soda either. This place used to be busy and people loved it, and now its a ghost town.
I am pretty sure that gas prices for food,supplies and deliveries cost increases had alot to do with it. I am sure they didn't want to do it but they must pass on the price to stay in buisness.

michaeltx

I think it has to do with the upgrades that have been installed.
The animated gifs, flash, and the HTML can actualy be used to hack security in some programs so the newer version of the board programming give a warning of enabling this type of file may be a security risk or something simliar so I think when they upgraded they chose not to enable it and take the risk.
it may also have something to do with the certificare of geotrust and hackersafe they have to do certain things to be able to certified on those and since its a buisness on the net security trumps most everything else!!
Mike

michaeltx

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2649847
because SWF.com is becoming commercial, not the secluded community we once were. Now they are doing a lot of things to get more and more members. this is going to end up like a "central reef" forum and people will start leaving it and reverting back to "small town" forums.
its like this pizza place inn my neighborhood.
a year ago it was $5 for a large one topping pizza if you picked it up monday-thursday, and orders over $10 got you a free 2 liter of soda. Now it is $6.50 for a large cheese pick-up mon-thursday, and $2.75 for each additional topping. No more free soda either. This place used to be busy and people loved it, and now its a ghost town.
no it will never become on of those sites because of the rules of this board it will always have a more personal feeling than those larger commercial sites.
The moderators are more active in helping and explaining things here than other sites too we just dont turn a blind eye when something starts to turn bad we monitor the situation and take action before it gets really bad atleast we try to. we do miss some though but the members that have been around for any length of time know that they can PM any of the moderators for any reason or to report anything they think is starting to get out of line.
Mike

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2650510
I think it has to do with the upgrades that have been installed.
The animated gifs, flash, and the HTML can actualy be used to hack security in some programs so the newer version of the board programming give a warning of enabling this type of file may be a security risk or something simliar so I think when they upgraded they chose not to enable it and take the risk.
it may also have something to do with the certificare of geotrust and hackersafe they have to do certain things to be able to certified on those and since its a buisness on the net security trumps most everything else!!
Mike
so did i get to keep mine cause im too dingy to hack or something?

michaeltx

yeah I believe they were grandfathered into the system so only new and replacement graphics will be effected.
Mike