Another Cycle Question!

rob 10737

Gonna be cycing a 75 gal in a few days. Should I use live rock, raw shimp, The product "cycle" or a combination of all three??? Has anyone tried all 3??

goldfish

I used live rock and damsels for my 75 FO tank and all was well. It did take about 4-6 weeks for it to cycle properly. I have heard quite a bit of discussion about shrimp to cycle..I personally don't know much about that. Some people support it while others don't. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback either way.
Good luck!

cchung718

I used live rocks, the product cycle and damsels to cycle my first tank. I am also going to cycle my new 75g tank with damsels and live rocks. I'm not sure if the product cycle really works but I use it anyways.

landmeier

Be careful if you decide to use Cycle. You must refridgerate that stuff after you open it or it will turn toxic. I recommend not using it just to be safe. Let nature do it naturally.

jacrmill

i cycled my tank with LR LS and damsels, but if i had it to do over again i wouldnt use damsels, theyre a pain to get outta there. ive heard a bunch of people on here say good things about raw shrimp. so if it were me i would use LR, LS and shrimp. i heard it can stink though, so good luck.

LR + LS + raw shrimp = cycled in 11 days, plus no damn damsels to catch afterward. I also would steer clear of the cycle, had a large ammo spike after I added cause I didnt refrigerate it. Not 100 per. sure it was the cycle but thats where I place the blame. No need to kill fish just to keep fish and the ls lr shrimp combo has ALWAYS been faster. gl!

panchito

I used cycle for my cycle and has not helped im going on like my 50 day and trites are still high( but I didnt start using till I was on my 2nd week) but I would say it does not work

marine qa

I am in the middle of cycling my first SW tank w/no fish, LR or LS. I am using raw srimp that I replace every week or so. I am also using a product like "Cycle". I do not believe that "Cycle" alone would cycle your tank. You need a source of ammonia. Many people use damsels who create ammonia; I am using raw shrimp who decay and create ammonia. My tank has been going since 4/7 and is probably weeks away from finishing cyclying.
I will likely purchase LR today. The use of LR and LS appear to be the best way to create a healthy tank. I am replacing my current lighting as it would not be ideal to help the LR to live. I will also pick up the supplies for a 10g quarantine/hospital tank. The LR will not allow me to use certain medications in my main tank.
Good luck.