Another Drilling question

escape2thewater

I just picked up a used 55g today to make a sump. Can I drill out the end panel to plumb my external return pump to it that way? Im kinda concerned about vibration from the pump causing the glass to crack, should I be worried?
Escape

sarwiz100

First, make sure it is NOT tempered, then to reduce/ eliminate vibration, use flex hose to plumb it. Some 55s , I have heard, are all tempered glass. You could use a short piece of flex, say 3-6 inches long. Just make sure you have a nice smooth drill job.

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by sarwiz100
First, make sure it is NOT tempered, then to reduce/ eliminate vibration, use flex hose to plumb it. Some 55s , I have heard, are all tempered glass. You could use a short piece of flex, say 3-6 inches long. Just make sure you have a nice smooth drill job.
Its just your avg everyday tank, nothing special & not sure what brand. maybe perfecto? . It does say "tempered glass" on the bottom. How can I tell if the rest is tempered too?
Thanks,
Escape

psusocr1

most bottom of tanks say tempered and that is usually the only piece of tempered glass on there, but make sure you double check

scsinet

Most manufacturers can either tell you or list on their web sites what is tempered and what isn't. PSU is right though, the bottom is almost always the only tempered part. If it's a standard size tank, its likely manufactuered by Oceanic, All-Glass, or Perfecto. Oceanic always obviously labels their tanks. AGA sticks a label under the bottom frame that you can see from inside the empty tank that states the brand and date of manufacture. Perfecto sometimes doesn't label them at all. I'd call AGA and Perfecto and ask, and if both say the sides are fine, then you're probably okay.

birdy

I believe All Glass and maybe perfecto temper all the glass on a 55, but just started doing it in the last year or two so if it is pretty old you are probably fine, but if you can find a make and a year when it was Manufactured you should be able to call the company and find out if the sides are tempered.

escape2thewater

It has an orange tag with an anchor on it that says "built by ____ June 01". And the tempered glass sticker, thats it. It looks just like some perfecto tanks I have though. Im gonna guess its a perfecto. Thanks for the info, I guess I need to give them a call.
Escape

escape2thewater

I called Perfecto today, they said all of thier 55g tanks have all 5 panels tempered. So im outta luck, back to the drawing board.
Escape

chosen1608

get yourself an un-tempered piece of glass cut to fit with the hole drilled in, use a razor and cut out the tepered end panel and replace it with the new panel, then re-silicone it. It should not cost more than a few bucks. That's what I did.

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by chosen1608
get yourself an un-tempered piece of glass cut to fit with the hole drilled in, use a razor and cut out the tepered end panel and replace it with the new panel, then re-silicone it. It should not cost more than a few bucks. That's what I did.

Thats a GREAT idea! Thanks
Escape

J

jasondean

Temp. glass has a different sound when you tap on it compared to regulor 1/4" plate.

shameless

Originally Posted by chosen1608
Be very careful with this procedure. Aqurium company's glue the glass together B4 they silicone it. Or else there would be no strenth to the unit. I would avoid this procedure.

chipmaker

And what exactly do you think they use to glue the glass together with. They use regular old silicone for the entire process. I am not saying that perhaps some company may not use an additional adhesive of some sort in addition to silicone, but odds are they don't use nothing but silicone. There really is no need to use anything else but silicone as it has all the strength and adhesive qualities needed to make a tank.

dankoos

All-Glass only tempers the bottom of tanks...go to their website, they have a whole chart on what sizes have tempered bottoms.

shameless

Originally Posted by chipmaker
And what exactly do you think they use to glue the glass together with. They use regular old silicone for the entire process. I am not saying that perhaps some company may not use an additional adhesive of some sort in addition to silicone, but odds are they don't use nothing but silicone. There really is no need to use anything else but silicone as it has all the strength and adhesive qualities needed to make a tank.
they use a special glue that has 2B cured by ultra violet lights then they silacon the inside only.

saltfan

Originally Posted by escape2thewater
I called Perfecto today, they said all of thier 55g tanks have all 5 panels tempered. So im outta luck, back to the drawing board.
Escape

Don't plumb it outside the tank....Just get a submersible return pump.