Another ID...

reefnut

Thanks to everyone for there help on the last one... let's see if we can do it again :cheer:
These are deep red, look to have a disk body with about 1/4" tentacles.
Any ideas??

mudplayerx

You been buying new rock or something Reefnut, or have all of these hitchikers just recently been popping up on old rock?
I have mini coco worms popping up all over the place now...its weird.

reefnut

No I haven't got any new rock but recently tore down my 110g and packed all of the rock into my 55g and it's 40g refuge. Now I'm starting to find some new & old things... the last ID post of the Hidden Cup Coral was something I knew I had but was never able to ID or get a picture of. These things I have never seen before??

reefnut

Well that's a good question. They have a "disk" type center but they do not close up at all... no matter how much I disturb them. They are sunk into the rock so I can't see the body, stem or whatever it has.

1journeyman

I'm going to show my ignorance here and say it looks like some sort of macro algae or bryozoan to me.. maybe I'm just not looking at the picture correctly.

reefnut

Although I remain open to it being some sort of algae, at the same time I have experience with most types of algae and this is different from my experience.

reefnut

I'd say that has to be it. Any idea what the scientific name is or did you just search for fuzzy red algae??
Thanks... :cheer: :cheer:
Although it sucks it turns out to be yet another type of algae...

speg

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
You been buying new rock or something Reefnut, or have all of these hitchikers just recently been popping up on old rock?
I have mini coco worms
popping up all over the place now...its weird.
You mean Christmas tree worms?

yosemite sam

I have never seen a scientific name for the stuff, but it's called red turf algae. There are a few people I know here in NYC that have had problems with it, and supposedly turbo snails do a good job at getting rid of it.

reefnut

It appears to be a Polysiphonia sp. but I read there are 250 species so coming up with an exact name would be tricky.
I'll just treat it like a nuisances algae and try to eliminate it. Thanks again,

devildog01

Originally Posted by Speg
Coco Worms and Christmas Tree worms are different worms bud.
Really? Everything I have looked into says they're the same. Hmm, thats weird, but I trust you guys more than I do books and stuff.

reefnut

Originally Posted by Speg
Coco Worms and Christmas Tree worms are different worms bud.
I agree completly... both a pretty cool though!!

reefnut

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
wait, maybe an encrusting hydroid?
Hydroid could be a possibility if they closed when disturbed... I do have hydroids in the tank, unfortunately.
I'm convenced it is a species of Polysiphonia.

speg

Originally Posted by DevilDog01
Really? Everything I have looked into says they're the same. Hmm, thats weird, but I trust you guys more than I do books and stuff.
The books say they are the same huh? Well man... if you walk into a fish store and they try to sell you ONE christmas tree worm for 35 dollars..... would you buy it?