another light question...oh yes!

mvogel2

yeah, yeah i know everyone is tired of lighting posts, BUT i think i'm ready for the metal halide jump :D
so i was thinking of picking up this unit, is it ok? I've been doing some reading, but it's hard to get straight answers from sights that want you to buy their lights.
don't want to make you read all this, but i thought the more info the better. here it is...

[hr]
TRIPLE 175 W MH REEF Light with 72" Reflector
Item # 2311402346
Brand Name:
Cool Touch Lighting
Triple 175 Watt Metal Halide
Aquarium Retro Kit with 72" Reflector
Cool Touch Lighting
Aluminum Extruded Heat Dissipation Box
(THREE)
175 Watt Metal Halide Advance Electromagnetic Ballasts
These ballasts are not off-shore, knockoff ballasts, that are going to fail before you know it.
These ballasts are manufactured by Advance Transformer, the leader in Ballast Technology.
210 input watts
For 175Watt Metal Halide lamp
Circuit type:CWA
120/347 Volt input
This box was engineered to withstand, and dissipate the heat that is produced by the use of the entire range of HID Ballasts.
All Aluminum construction made with T6061 Aluminum.
The aluminum fin height is a whopping 1/2", allowing for extreme temperature dissipation. Compare that to other aluminum boxes sold which only provide 1/4" fin height.
Built into the design of this box is legs and feet that keep the entire enclosure, elevated, to ensure unit stability and safety.
All Cool Touch Lighting Ballast Boxes are equipped with quick connect sockets and on/off switches to allow fast relocation and easy installation.
As well, included in all Cool Touch Lighting Ballast Boxes is a unique top track to allow for racking capabilities and handle bracket accessories (accessories not included in this auction).
All boxes are factory wired for common household voltage of 120 volts, but most ballasts used are capable of multi-tap voltages. If requested, the ballast box can be rewired to accommodate such a request.

mvogel2

it's a 125 long (6ft) depth is around 22'' ish i forget the width... sorry meant to include this in the original post.
thanks
matt

mvogel2

OK, this looks like the same one with 3 250w bulbs... Is this everything i would need? it's runs 350.00 after shipping...
there is also a 400w version for 10 bucks more...so are the 400 bulbs way more expensive than the 250?
or should i buy the 400 setup now and put in the 250 bulbs, that way i can upgrade later?
for the record these kits do not include the bulbs...
As for what i'm keeping i'd like to do some soft corals, i do think clams could be a possibility way down the road (maybe a year) i just would like to have really nice soft coral and maybe an anenome with a clown....
250 Watt Metal Halide Advance Electromagnetic Ballasts
These ballasts are not off-shore, knockoff ballasts, that are going to fail before you know it.
These ballasts are manufactured by Advance Transformer, the leader in Ballast Technology.
295 input watts
For 250Watt Metal Halide lamp
Circuit type:CWA
120/347 Volt input
This box was engineered to withstand, and dissipate the heat that is produced by the use of the entire range of HID Ballasts.
All Aluminum construction made with T6061 Aluminum.
The aluminum fin height is a whopping 1/2", allowing for extreme temperature dissipation. Compare that to other aluminum boxes sold which only provide 1/4" fin height.
Built into the design of this box is legs and feet that keep the entire enclosure, elevated, to ensure unit stability and safety.
All Cool Touch Lighting Ballast Boxes are equipped with quick connect sockets and on/off switches to allow fast relocation and easy installation.
As well, included in all Cool Touch Lighting Ballast Boxes is a unique top track to allow for racking capabilities and handle bracket accessories (accessories not included in this auction).
All boxes are factory wired for common household voltage of 120 volts, but most ballasts used are capable of multi-tap voltages. If requested, the ballast box can be rewired to accommodate such a request.

jarvis

I contacted cool touch about the ones on ----. They are 10 inch reflectors. Might want to get ask about getting a bigger reflector for some more room for VHO if your going that route.