Another lighting Question

sarge

Has anybody used the MH lamps that hang-on the tank? Coralife has one called the Aqualight Advance Series HQI Hang-on Tank Mount. Just wondering if it's any good and if the mount holds well.

mandarin w

If it is the same one I found I wouldn't get it. It looks like it only has the MH lights, no actinics and 175 watts is going to be kind of lame for your tank size, You mentioned that you would like to keep an anemone. You will need more power that 175, try to find something with three 250watt MH and VHO or T-5's for actinic. They even have some light units that will have built in moon lights this is nicer. I will look and see what I can find out.

mandarin w

Corallife has an Aqua life Pro 250, that would be better suited for you tank, It cost about $2000. That is why I said before if you are handy, you could save yourself some bucks and build your own. Two of the most expensive things in this hobby are going to be your lights, unless you go with a fish only tank, that means no corals and no anemones. and a good quality skimmer is the second largest purchase and far as equipment goes. I will keep looking for something cheaper though.

mandarin w

outer orbit has a very nice looking light, 250 MH, and T-5 for actinics with moonlights $940. for a 60in, and $1319. for 72 inch.
Personally I like these.

rgunnell

Originally Posted by mandarin w
outer orbit has a very nice looking light, 250 MH, and T-5 for actinics with moonlights $940. for a 60in, and $1319. for 72 inch.
Personally I like these.
I just bought the 48" -- WOW. My reef is going to rock with this baby.

joncat24

or you can get an odyssea 72" with three 250's and actnics and moonlights for 359 shipped if you search Odyssea metal halide...
I have had two different ones and have friends that also have them with no problems

sarge

Could I get by with the Outer Orbit fixture with 3x150 MH's? Looking at the amp draw I don't want to add an electrician into the budget to upgrade the circuit.

mandarin w

Originally Posted by Sarge
Could I get by with the Outer Orbit fixture with 3x150 MH's? Looking at the amp draw I don't want to add an electrician into the budget to upgrade the circuit.
Unless your home is running on like 90 year old wireing, you won't need to worry about the 250 watt light and your ampage. If your tank is only 16-18 inches deep the 150 just won't penatrate to the bottom of the tank the way they should.
As far as oddessays, I wouldn't recomment those to anyone. I've know several people who have had the lights catch fire. One was a store owner, who was still in the store and caught it early, but still had to use the fire estiguisher to put it out. Lost almost everything in the store. The other was a fellow hobbiest who was at work, and got a call about 3 in the afternoon. He lost his house. Lucky that all the kids were at school. It basically goes the same here as anywhere eles. you get what you pay for. and paying $400. for lighting that normally runs $800-$1300. is my opinion asking for problems.
While buying equipment it is best to stay away from odessays, and Jebo's, 95 % of the stuff they make is crap. There is that 5% that say they have not problems with it. But they are the exceptions to the rule.

joncat24

not going to turn this into an odyssea debate but....the problems were with the older models that have now beeen corrected. as for catching fire, there was a coralife unit on here a couple weeks ago that caught fire, so does that make all coralifes bad???
The one instance of the odyssea mh ctaching fire I know of is because the guy plugged the cords for the lights into the wall and not into the ballast box.
Anyway everyone can keep on bashing my lights if they want to, I love em, my corals love em and I payed about a 1/3 of what a coralife unit would cost