another newbie...please help

kiger

wow, wish i had found this site 2 weeks ago. i have searched many topics in the past few hours, but like most forums, it's hard to find answers to my specific needs. please take it easy on me.
o.k., i'm switching my 30 gallon fresh tank to salt. i'm using 2 aquaclear 50 filters, and an aquac hang-on protien skimmer. having not read this site, i purchased crushed coral from the lfs. i would like to eventually make it a reef tank, but want to take it slow because of the investment. i am patient and have the time to wait. to this point, i have put in the crushed coral, mixed and added my water. that's it. my next step(after reading info from this site) is to purchase one of the many books recommended, remove the crushed coral and add live sand. anymore advice would be appreciated.
kevin

f1shman

Sounds good so far, after that you will want to add some LR (live rock, works as a filter, looks the best in saltwater tanks in my oppinion) I'd recommend getting it online though because it can be really expensive at local fish stores. After you get all this in you'll want to monitor the ammonia + nitrites + nitrates (like you did with your freshwater I think, can't remember haven't had a freshwater in like 5 years lol) if it doesn't go through the cycle from the LR + LS (liverock + livesand) then you can add a cocktail shrimp to spike the ammonia and start the cycle. (i haven't personally tried the shrimp, but everyone says it works great) then after your cycle is done, you can add a hardy fish such as clownfish, firefish, or something like that. Damsiollefish are the most hardy but they very agressive.
If you have any more question feel free to ask

dexter

I'm in week 2 of my 30 gal switch from fresh to salt. 10lbs LR (25lbs more on the way) 20 lbs of LS (live sand) my ammonia levels are declining and nitrited are going up, slightly, but not spiking yet. Definately get your LS and LR in Kiger. I went the raw shrimp route and took the shrimp out about 3 days ago. My tannk should be ready in a week or so for my fish, providing my levels are correct at the time. :jumping:
Welcome to yur latest addiction and good luck!
Dxtr

beth

Administrator
Staff member
kiger, welcome to Saltwaterfish.com! We hope you learn a lot from us and feel free to ask questions without any hassle. The New Hobbyist forum is made for folks new to hobby and no question or problem is considered dumb at SWF.com.
As for your crushed coral, take the time and effort now to remove it and start aknew with small grain live sand. If you can't afford 100% live sand, then get a some live sand and mix it with same smaller size dry sand, but you must get rid of of the crushed coral. I know you don't want to have to break down your tank once it gets started just so you can change out crushed coral. Breaking down a tank can cost you the lives of animals.
A great book for you to get would be Robert Fernner's, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". This book covers everything you need to get started and has excellent illustrations. You won't be bored reading it. I would get this ASAP, while you work on changing out the crushed coral.
Good Luck!

kiger

any advice on the easiest/best way to remove the crushed coral? i'm guessing a big net or plastic shovel.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I'd wait until you get your sand and all the LR you are planning to get then do everything at once.
Remove all the water to deadicated plastic container [syphon it off with a pump/hose].
Put your Live Rock in the container with the water and throw in a little powerhead to keep the water moving in there.
Remove the crushed coral, replace with sand, move your LR into the tank, do whatever rockwork design you plan on doing. Keep your Live Rock wet by spraying it with water during this process.
Then, syphon in the water.
Your reading to go, and its fun to boot!
Crushed coral will trap waste and is also very hard on the delicate tissues of sand dwelling creatures, so if you want a reef, this is the water to go.
For sand, you want a particle size of 0.5 mm [or less] to 1.7 mm. Don't get larger grain sizes.

f1shman

ya the book beth recommended is awesome, although the guy is very oppinionated on everything

tthemadd1

Remember to use an uncooked shrimp from you deli. It will deteriorate faster shortening the cycle time.

Good luck
Themadd1

kiger

any advice on where to get the live sand. are prices about the same or are there pitfalls that i should be aware of?
thanks for the responses.
kevin

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by F1shMan
ya the book beth recommended is awesome, although the guy is very oppinionated on everything

All professional hobbyist are opinionated. Goes with the territory. :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by tthemadd1
Remember to use an uncooked shrimp from you deli. It will deteriorate faster shortening the cycle time.

Good luck
Themadd1
No need to do this anymore. The live rock will cycle the tank, as long as you feed your rock.

airforceb2

The sand that comes in the bag (Aragalive) is OK. If possible, try to find a LFS that will scoop out a few pounds of the sand in their display tank. My LFS will give away sand with every purchass if you ask them. They just pour in dead sand an in a week it is alive again. The point of this is because the bagged sand may only contain bacteria where the other may have worms and other HH (hitchhikers) in it.

jayc

Originally Posted by F1shMan
beth, how do I feed my rock? with what?
I've never heard of feeding LR. :thinking: I dont know what yall are talking about.