Another newbie question.....

cjml

Hello all ! Again thanks for all the great advice. Another question please!! I have now learned about Nitrites, Nitrates. Ammonia, PH, Salinity, cycling, bioloads & a bunch more.I seemed to have missed the oxygen part--how do you know about its level? If it gets low? What makes it drop? How do you fix it? I get nervous when I see my fish @ the top of the tank!
Thanks again!
CJML

D

daniel411

As long as you have a few powerheads moving the water around. No stagnant areas of water. An open top for gas exchange, you should be perfectly fine with your oxygen levels. If you think you still have a problem, you can add a power head near the surface to create ripples in the water which will create more gas exchange IMO.

michaeltx

I get nervous when I see my fish @ the top of the tank!
if they are hanging at the top of the water all the time then worry there is something wrong.
Power heads at the water line to move water is a good way to add O2 as daniel sais also your skimmer will add O2 rich water back into the tank. cirulation is a big factor in keeping the O2 up.
Mike

cjml

Thankyou so much! I appreciate all your advice! Will get another powerhead this weekend.
CJML