Another pserson with an Ick problem....

phelpz

So I just added a new fish to my tank. No I didnt QT him. Yes I know I should have.
So the problem is the new fish isnt the fish with the problem, and doesnt seem to have any white bumps on him at all. My Royal Gramma is the one that I believe has it. My other two fish seem to fine right now as well. I also did notice a week or so ago the Gramma had two little whit bumps on his tail, but then they went away, came back and then went away til this evening.
So did the gramma get it from the new fish even though the new fish has no signs of ick?
Also I've never had an ick problem before in my tank. I was reading that sometimes it can come back.
Could it also possible be something caused from stress?
Danke!

sepulatian

If you didn't quarantine your other fish then ich could have been in the tank. Regardless of how it got there, it now needs to be treated. Do you have a cycled qt running?

phelpz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2513820
If you didn't quarantine your other fish then ich could have been in the tank. Regardless of how it got there, it now needs to be treated. Do you have a cycled qt running?
Nope. I never really thought about it since I didnt plan on adding anymore fish, and I also have nowhere to put one. I should have done that before I added another one. I dont really know a lot about ick, obviously, but I know the plaxe I got it from qt's their fish for a week, and I know those fish had been for sale for about two weeks. I figured they would be ick free. If thats what caused it. I've never had an ick problem before and I've had all the other fish since Oct. of last year. I havent added anything else at all to my tank in at least 3 months either.
I do have another tank that I can set up in the morning. It wouldnt be cycled or anything of course. I figure the ick will kill the fish before a non-cycled tank will. Or at least the ick will kill them faster.
Sucks.

phelpz

Now all the white spots are gone but a couple.
I'm so confused.
Do I still need to take the fish out and treat it?
Or just pray it wont come back?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by phelpz
http:///forum/post/2514031
Nope. I never really thought about it since I didnt plan on adding anymore fish, and I also have nowhere to put one. I should have done that before I added another one. I dont really know a lot about ick, obviously, but I know the plaxe I got it from qt's their fish for a week, and I know those fish had been for sale for about two weeks. I figured they would be ick free. If thats what caused it. I've never had an ick problem before and I've had all the other fish since Oct. of last year. I havent added anything else at all to my tank in at least 3 months either.
I do have another tank that I can set up in the morning. It wouldnt be cycled or anything of course. I figure the ick will kill the fish before a non-cycled tank will. Or at least the ick will kill them faster.
Sucks.
Never count on a store for quarantine. Go ahead and set up the qt tank. You will have to treat all of your fish. You can cycle the tank with a piece of rock from your display. If you notice the fish getting worse then pull the rock out and put the fish into the qt. Let it cycle as much as it can without the fish though. Use filter media from your display tank in the qt. You may want to add a cup or two of sand for more biological filtration.

http:///forum/post/2514569
Now all the white spots are gone but a couple.
I'm so confused.
Do I still need to take the fish out and treat it?
Or just pray it wont come back?
That is the life cycle of the parasite. The parasites have dropped off to reproduce. You will soon see an increase in parasites. They still have to be treated. Read Beth's Common Treatments FAQ, at the top of this forum, for more information on the life cycle of ich and how to treat it.

phelpz

Ok, as for putting a piece of LR from my current tank in the one being set up can the rock go back into my regular tank after treatment?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2515613
Ok, as for putting a piece of LR from my current tank in the one being set up can the rock go back into my regular tank after treatment?
The rock will come out of the tank before you even start treatment. Yes, it can go back into the display.

phelpz

Ok, so I've been treating my yellow clown goby for a couple days now. I've been following the advice given in Beths thread on the top pf the page on how to treat with formaline. I've been using Rid-Ich.
The fish really doesnt seem any better, and right now when I put him back in the regular tank he seems to breathing pretty heavy. The ick is also a lot more visible. Which I'm hoping is a good sign. Not the heavy breathing, the ick being more visible once I took him out of the other tank.
None of my other fish seem to have it yet. Thank God.
In about a week once my other tank has cycled I'm going to do they hypo thing in my DT. Hopefully it will work.
But the question is can that formaline kill a fish?
It didnt seem to be having such a hard time the last time he went in it. I did it the exact same way this time, and only been doing it every other day. The first time I did only leave him in for a half hour. He seemed to be fine so this time I left him in for the whole 45 minutes.

sepulatian

Formalin does not treat ich. Rid Ich will not work. There are only two things that work, hyposalinity and copper. Have you been dipping them in a treatment with Rid Ich? How much have you been adding? You are only supposed to use one teaspoon per ten gallons. Nevertheless, stop using that product. It "controls" ich, it does not kill it.

phelpz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2520897
Formalin does not treat ich. Rid Ich will not work. There are only two things that work, hyposalinity and copper. Have you been dipping them in a treatment with Rid Ich? How much have you been adding? You are only supposed to use one teaspoon per ten gallons. Nevertheless, stop using that product. It "controls" ich, it does not kill it.
I've been using a couple drops less than 1/10 of a teaspoon for a one gallon tank. I've put the fish in it every other day for the last couples days. He's been in it twice.
It doesnt really seem to be making any difference.
Hopefully my other tank will be ready soon so I can do the hyposalinity thing.
Also does anyone know about fresh water dips? Or have tried them. I know it says not to do it unless its your only option. Like the fish is going to die anyways so you may as well try it. My brother did it with a maroon clown and it seemed to work ok, and the fish was fine afterwards. I'm just curious in case it comes down to it.

sepulatian

To do a fresh water dip, match the temp and PH to the tank that the fish is in. Dip the fish for three to five minutes. You must watch the fish the entire time. If you see that the fish is in distress then pull him out. It is normal for them to be disoriented or even lay on their side when you first put them in. Within a minute the fish should swim normally.

phelpz

So I got home just now and I look in my tank and couldnt find one of my fish. So I look on the filter and the little guy was wrapped around the filter suction part. The intake?
I unplugged the filter and he was bent like a U.
The yellow clown goby died.
I wanted on for like 2 months then I finally get one and it died. I just wish it would have died before the 7 day warranty was over....
But now before I ever add another fish I will QT it. I learned my lesson.
I also learned fish are a lot easier to catch and photograph dead.

phelpz

I'll stop hijacking that other persons thread.
I just tested my water and my amonia is at .5.
The last time I tested it it was at 0, and my Nitrite was .5, and Nitrate was 10.
Trites and trates are back at 0 today, but then the amonia is back up.
I dont get it.
SHouldnt it only spike the once?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2538705
I'll stop hijacking that other persons thread.
I just tested my water and my amonia is at .5.
The last time I tested it it was at 0, and my Nitrite was .5, and Nitrate was 10.
Trites and trates are back at 0 today, but then the amonia is back up.
I dont get it.
SHouldnt it only spike the once?
Are the fish in the qt yet? I had to go back and look. Was the rock that you added from your display? You said that you added 12 lbs. When was that?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2538722
No.
The amonia just finally spiked on Monday so I havent put them in yet. I was holding off til it was done cycling all the way.
Was the 12lbs of rock from your display? If the fish are covered then it is time to remove them. If they become "too" covered then you will lose them. You have from now until these parasites reproduce again to get the fish out or it may be too late. They do not all reproduce at the same time. Do a water change on the qt and get the fish in there. You can leave the rock in there until you are ready to drop the salinity. At that time you can move the rock back into the DT.

phelpz

I added the 12 lbs to my regular tank. the one the fish are in now. Its going to suck to catch them.
Its not so bad. A few weeks ago when it started it was covered with 3 times as many spots. I'm sure it will make it through the weekend. Or at least til tomorrow night.
I would try to catch it now, but I have to be up at like 5am for a stupid yard sale. I dont think I can stay up for a couple more hours catching fish.
Maybe I will make the trap now and when I wake up it will be in it. Is that how you do it? Just leave it in for a while til it swims in it?