Another Reef Equipment Question - Lighting

m0nk

So, I've got almost all of the equipment figured out for my 55 gallon tank. The last thing that I keep changing my mind on is lighting. With the $$ thing keeping me rather limited, I have come to some specific choices:
PC:
Either the Coralife Aqualight Double Strip w/Lunar Light, 48", 260 watt or Current Dual Satellite w/Lunar Light, 48", 260 watt
T-5
Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights, 216 watt
All 3 of these fixtures run around $200 and it's about my limit, but I was thinking that all 3 of these would be adequate but I'd like some opinion as to the best for what I plan on keeping. I currently have mushrooms, zoanthids, and a frogspawn, all which will be going into the 55g. I'm also planning on more zoanthids and some other LPS like candy cane, brain coral, hammer, etc. Opinions? Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help that everyone on these forums have given!!
(Btw, wasn't sure if this was best asked in the reef forum because of the specifics of my question, but if this is best put in the lighting forum, any mods can feel free to move)

frankthetank

I have the Dual Satellite and love it! I really like the Current lighting models. If I could make one suggestion, if you decide to go with the Current... I think for about $20 bucks more you can get the Current Orbit. It comes with an extra moonlight and independent moonlight controls. I actually wish I had gotten the Orbit, but overall there isn't any difference other than the extra moonlight led's. My 36" Satellite has one moonlight in the center of the tank but I have a support across the center which blocks half the moonlight. Had I gotten the Orbit, it had 3 moonlights.
Where I purchase the light, the 48" orbit is selling for $239.

m0nk

Thanks for the feedback and the info on the Orbit. I found that listed online for $254, but my LFS sells it for $315. It's the only lighting system that I've seen so far that my LFS sells for a different price than other places. Not sure why it's so much more...

teen

if there all around the same price, i would go for the t-5s. they have a higher PAR rating (which means you can keep more light demanding corals) than the PC's and will produce the same amount of heat (which is little to none).

frankthetank

Yea, my LFS sells everything higher. I can usually find really good prices on a particular website. I guess we're not allowed to post other website's links here. I don't think you'd be dissapointed in the Current models.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by teen
if there all around the same price, i would go for the t-5s. they have a higher PAR rating (which means you can keep more light demanding corals) than the PC's and will produce the same amount of heat (which is little to none).
Yea, but he's getting a considerable less amount of watts with the T-5 system he mentioned. Sounds like over 40 watts less. I'd go with the PC's and the more watts.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't recommend 216 watts on a 55g. That's not enough. The Current models he listed are 260w, and will handle anything but SPS.

m0nk

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
Yea, but he's getting a considerable less amount of watts with the T-5 system he mentioned. Sounds like over 40 watts less. I'd go with the PC's and the more watts.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't recommend 216 watts on a 55g. That's not enough. The Current models he listed are 260w, and will handle anything but SPS.
I wondered about that too, but does spectrum come into play? That was my only real reason for considering the T-5's. I'm not too sure about how the whole spectrum thing works yet, still new at this, so just want to get some opinions.

You can't go strictly by watts...Go with the Nova's they run much cooler than PCs,.bulbs slightly cheaper,and the bulbs last longer.I run JBJ 4x65w PC's on a 72gal. tank and T-5s(8x54w) on a 75gal.

teen

yea, dont listen to the watts thing. the t-5 are a HO (high output) fixture so there going to be stronger than the PC's. you'll even be able to keep montipora (capricornis and digitata) and probably even a clam as long as you keep it up in the rock work.
only problem with the nova fixture is the reflector, the TEK's are more reflective.

m0nk

Thanks, just so long as the 4x54 T-5's would be enough to keep what I want to keep in a 55gallon tank I'll be happy. Sounds like some SPS would work so that's a plus.

m0nk

I guess I should ask this too, just so it's covered. Will either PC fixture work for SPS? Just curious.

teen

a few montis may survive, but i guarantee theyd brown out and would grow extremely slow. no acros.

m0nk

Awesome, thanks so much for all the help teen with my constant equipment questions, you've certainly been a great help! I appreciate it!

teen

no problem. its better that you ask now rather than bring home a bunch of equipment and we tell you its not gunna get the job done.

frankthetank

Well, I'm going to stand by my statement. I use, what I think, is a dependable & very extensive lighting chart and the Nova T5 lighting system he mentioned will not support a wide range of corals for his tank. I use a chart that lists PC's, Halides, and T5's. The chart recommends the Current Sattelite and Orbit over the Nova for Soft and all LPS corals for your tank size and specific deminsions.

m0nk

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
Well, I'm going to stand by my statement. I use, what I think, is a dependable & very extensive lighting chart and the Nova T5 lighting system he mentioned will not support a wide range of corals for his tank. I use a chart that lists PC's, Halides, and T5's. The chart recommends the Current Sattelite and Orbit over the Nova for Soft and all LPS corals for your tank size and specific deminsions.
I'm certainly very interested in many opinions since I have no experience with these items yet and there are a lot of experienced hobbyists here. FranktheTank, where could I view this chart that you mention? Thanks!

m0nk

Ok, I found another thread where someone mentioned the Odyssea 24" 380W Metal Halide System and I found it online for $170. Problem is that it's 24", half the length of my tank. Anyone have thoughts on this?

katieb

the T-5 HO from Tek w/ individual reflectors is deff they way to go from all choices. For my opinion, I have them and have many soft corals and anemonies that are growing fast! I love them!