ANOTHER school shooting!

scotts

However the results of this one were not terribly tragic so it does not get discussed much, however it should.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/61858
So then after tackling a dude with a gun this is what he wrote about it on the facebook page.
As Written By Dr. David Benke.
"Thank you so much for your love, support, strength, and help. I have read every one of your letters and wish I could reply to everyone individually and at length. It is just that I write very slowly. We all do things for different reasons. I went after the guy because I had promised my students that I would do something and as I told my brother I don’t like the idea of being a target. Becky Brown came and got the gun away because she saw me wrestling with the guy. She came toward the shooting and helped me like she would help one of her brothers. Norm Hanne piled on top of the guy because he was going to protect students no matter what and he continued to help students after the shooter was handcuffed by getting them safe into a classroom. Meanwhile I was walking around in the school office crying never thinking that there could be more shooters. Two school bus drivers had come toward the shooter and were ready to help us if he should get away. I’m sorry guys I don’t know your names. Jacquie Adkins helped Reagan get treatment for her wounded arm. When Becky saw that Norm and I had the shooter secured she went to kneel in the snow, held a critically wounded student's hand and kept talking with him while a parent who was an ER nurse suddenly appeared like an angel and began treatment. Betty Miller helped Becky and the parent take care of Matt until the EMS arrived and he was taken away by ambulance. Becky would have gone with him just as she would have her own wounded child if EMS technicians had let her. Her flat statement summed up the feelings of the staff at Deer Creek when Matt, who was in a lot of pain, asked, "Am I going to die?" Becky replied, "Not on my watch." I did one thing that took an instant to decide and about 3 minutes of effort. The rest of the faculty did things that were much braver. They endured the “minutes like hours” waiting in classrooms with the lights off and the doors locked keeping kids quiet. Keeping the kids as safe as they could while the Jefferson County Sheriff’s officers cleared the school room by room. I could see the shooter in front of me and I knew I could get to him before he reloaded. The officers went into the school never knowing what was around the next corner or in the next cabinet. I wrestled one man who I could see and touch. The rest of the faculty wrestled with waiting and not knowing.
Everyone responded the way they could and should. But the big thing was the attitude that Becky encapsulated in her statement and in Rob’s and her leadership. If we could have told the students what we felt before the incident happened we would have said, "Not on my watch. On my watch you are going to be as safe as I can make you."
Sincerely,
Dr. David Benke"

bigarn

according to the caption under the pic it happened Tuesday. This is the first I'm hearing of it??

scotts

Yep it happened earlier this week. However since on one died (thankfully) it was not really news. Someone gets killed by a Killer whale and it gets a thread immediately, a regular person does something truly heroic and we hear nothing......
Well Mr. Benke deserves better than that.

browniebuck

As a teacher, this type of thing scares the crap out of me. We go to work, day in and day out, thinking that we are safe and that we are making a difference. There is very little stopping a disgruntled parent, disgruntled former student, or getting stuck int he middle of a custody dispute between parents. We think that all of our "lockdown" drills will prepare us, but in all likelihood, by the time that we would get the lockdown announcement, it would be too late.
I started my career in an inner-city middle school teaching students with Emotional Disturbances....I had SEVERAL "disgruntled" students. I looked over my shoulder more than once while walking to my car after school. I had a student that was in a wrestling match with our school resource officer when I noticed him reaching for the cops gun...on instinct, I grabbed the kid and restrained him while the officer got back up and pepper sprayed the 8th grader (he mainly got me with the spray....which SUCKS). It is downright scary to see just how little some people value human life.
Bravo Dr. Benke, if I am ever unfortunate enough to find myself in the same situation, I HOPE that I would have the courage and wherewithal to do the same thing that you did.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/3236070
Yep it happened earlier this week. However since on one died (thankfully) it was not really news. Someone gets killed by a Killer whale and it gets a thread immediately, a regular person does something truly heroic and we hear nothing......
Well Mr. Benke deserves better than that.
Hear nothing? The Colorado shooting was on every news feed at the same time they were talking about the girl killed by the Killer Whale. I saw just as much coverage, if not more on the Colorado incident.

el guapo

This one was pretty close to home . My fiance is the assistant director of a daycare in that neighborhood. She actually picks up students from that school as well as others in the area. It was a very long day for her on Tuesday trying to get kids out of the locked down schools. The small town of Hudson where the guy is from is also just a few miles from where I grew up. Strang to see things like this happening , Very unsettling to say the least.

scotts

Brownie, I hope you never have the chance to find out how you would do in that situation.
Guap, WOW man. That is way too close for comfort.
This thread was not only a tribute to the great Dr. Benke, but also a comment about how negativity is so popular in the news. I got tired of seeing the headlines of the Olympics of how this person made this mistake, or that person made that mistake. If someone had died during this shooting, then Dr. Benke performed his heroism we would have heard much more about him. However since his actions prevented a death he doesn't even get a handshake and a pat on the back.
Case in point, this thread took too long to be posted, however Marie Osmond's son dies and it had a thread within minutes.
Time to get off my soapbox.