Another Stand Your Ground in FLA in the making?

darthtang aw

Actually, the no weapons is a policy of the movie theater which was not posted anywhere except on their website.  If they didn't want weapons, then they needed to post it clearly at the theater.   On the other hand, stop using cell phones is announced on the screen pre-movie. 
If it wasn't posted on the theater entrance then that is different. But it must be posted.

mohawkninja

Any eyewitness accounts I can check out? This discussion really seems illogical to be honest. If the woman was holding her husband back, he was 15 feet away, and all the husband did was throw some popcorn (laced with cyanide, of course), there is really no defense that he feared his life. At least wait until he swings at you or something to shoot him, preferably not even. Plus, what is the problem with texting during previews? The lights aren't even down.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Some people like to watch upcoming show previews! LOL Theaters announce on the screen during commercials to turn off cells. That's the time to turn it off.

According to the statement from the theater, the no weapons was announced only on their website, not on premises....

2quills

Yes they do, as they are federally protected under private property laws. On private property you have the right to not allow firearms. A business is private property.
Correct, the movie theater has the right to not allow anyone with weapons on their property. The catch is that there is no law saying (that I've seen) that you can't carry your weapon into a private establishment as long as you're licensed. Therefore I believe the old man is guilty of criminal trespass but not murder. Or at least, I'm not convinced of murder yet.
The question for me is if the guy who got shot literally threw the popcorn first or did some minor altercation break out causing the popcorn to go flying through the air? Jury is still out on that one for me.
Seems like the only smart ones in this group were the wives. And like any good woman will do she'll stand by her man right or wrong and defend him. But I need to hear from more witnesses first and feel more reasured that the information I am hearing is accurate.
I'd hope my fellow citizens would grant me the same courtesy if I were ever on trial.

2quills

Plus, what is the problem with texting during previews? The lights aren't even down.
Hey, if I'm paying $50 to see a flick with my wife then I better be getting my monies worth lol. For some people those previews are part of the attraction. But at the same time it doesn't sound like the guy was texting all through the movie or something.
Just another case of senseless violence that shouldn't have happened. They may not be the norm but they do happen.

triga22

I'm actually surprised at the level of anti gun remarks on this forum. I would have expected it from Mothers For Gun Control, but not the intelligent folks on this website. I could debate about guns all day, I myself carry, but I will stay on topic about this shooting. This is coming from someone who received their weapons permit on their 21st birthday. I think that the retired cop is a complete tool. He should not have shot the idiot who threw popcorn at him and wanted to start a fight. In that situation I would have left, or if I felt threatened I would possibly draw my firearm to contain the subject. I wasn't there, but maybe he felt threatened. Both guys are tools but the cop had no right to fire his weapon. Carrying a weapon is a big responsibility, I frequent the range and believe that I could never have enough training under my belt. To be honest, now that I have been carrying for a little while, I don't feel very safe if I don't have my weapon with me. Recently the house behind mine was broken into and some thugs stole lots of their belongings, including some guns, and I have been waiting for them to come back and try my house. The news is also frequently filled with shootings in public places and people breaking into homes even after being shot at. Last year a Mother hid in a closet with her children while an attacker searched their house. The attacker finally found them and she returned fire, hitting the suspect 5 times, she only had 6 shots. The suspect was still able to get up, run out of the house, drive his car and later crashing it. All I am saying is this world we live in is full of evil, evil people who want to do harm to your children and family. Taking guns away from responsible citizens is not how we can correct this....

darthtang aw

I'm actually surprised at the level of anti gun remarks on this forum. I would have expected it from Mothers For Gun Control, but not the intelligent folks on this website. I could debate about guns all day, I myself carry, but I will stay on topic about this shooting. This is coming from someone who received their weapons permit on their 21st birthday. I think that the retired cop is a complete tool. He should not have shot the idiot who threw popcorn at him and wanted to start a fight. In that situation I would have left, or if I felt threatened I would possibly draw my firearm to contain the subject. I wasn't there, but maybe he felt threatened. Both guys are tools but the cop had no right to fire his weapon. Carrying a weapon is a big responsibility, I frequent the range and believe that I could never have enough training under my belt. To be honest, now that I have been carrying for a little while, I don't feel very safe if I don't have my weapon with me. Recently the house behind mine was broken into and some thugs stole lots of their belongings, including some guns, and I have been waiting for them to come back and try my house. The news is also frequently filled with shootings in public places and people breaking into homes even after being shot at. Last year a Mother hid in a closet with her children while an attacker searched their house. The attacker finally found them and she returned fire, hitting the suspect 5 times, she only had 6 shots. The suspect was still able to get up, run out of the house, drive his car and later crashing it. All I am saying is this world we live in is full of evil, evil people who want to do harm to your children and family. Taking guns away from responsible citizens is not how we can correct this....
Who made antigun comments? I didnt see that many.

2quills

It is sad.
I feel like all of this violence is just a reflection of culture though. We see it everywhere. We are bombarded with violence from every angle in the media, music and movies. Almost to the point where for some of us it's all we see. I can see where someone might get it twisted and end up with this sense of that is all their is in this world. Pretty sad indeed.
Unfortunately I don't think that taking gun rights away will stop the violence. As a people and as a culture we need to change ourselves or our way of thinking if we're ever going to get a handle on it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Violence is not new to humanity. Everyone knowing about every incident is new due to our technology.

darthtang aw

If a person actually looks at the data. Mass shootings have not increased. They have remained flat. Average of 20 per year since 1990. Murder and violent crimes are actually down as well. It is we are just more connected to what is going on in the country due to how news is spread.

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396972/another-stand-your-ground-in-fla-in-the-making/40#post_3537352
If a person actually looks at the data. Mass shootings have not increased. They have remained flat. Average of 20 per year since 1990. Murder and violent crimes are actually down as well. It is we are just more connected to what is going on in the country due to how news is spread.
Have shootings in schools increased over time? I haven't been around that long.

darthtang aw

Have shootings in schools increased over time? I haven't been around that long.
Not really but some. depends on how you look at things. Over the course of time the local for "mass shootings" does change, but the amount of shootings doesn't. I suppose one could say it is now more "trendy" to shoot up a Theater, before it was trendy to shoot up high schools, then colleges.........
You have a more likely chance of becoming a victim in Chicago at Indiana and east 60th street than in any movie theater or school. Your chances of being murdered, assaulted, robbed or raped are 1 in 15.

2quills

How does our culture stack up to some of the others in terms of random violence, especialy murder against our fellow citizens?
Did violence in this country increase as a percentage once all of the hard drugs started taking over the streets when it became more available and affordabe to the common man?

mohawkninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396972/another-stand-your-ground-in-fla-in-the-making/40#post_3537357
Not really but some. depends on how you look at things. Over the course of time the local for "mass shootings" does change, but the amount of shootings doesn't. I suppose one could say it is now more "trendy" to shoot up a Theater, before it was trendy to shoot up high schools, then colleges.........
You have a more likely chance of becoming a victim in Chicago at Indiana and east 60th street than in any movie theater or school. Your chances of being murdered, assaulted, robbed or raped are 1 in 15.
The effects of school shootings are terrible though. My friends best friend was killed, as I stated before. Do you remember the Chardon High School shooting? 10 miles from me. I knew a bunch of people at that school. They were in terrible shape after that.

darthtang aw

The effects of school shootings are terrible though. My friends best friend was killed, as I stated before. Do you remember the Chardon High School shooting? 10 miles from me. I knew a bunch of people at that school. They were in terrible shape after that.
The effects of any shooting are terrible, even the justified shootings such as officers having to shoot a criminal or people shot in wars, or people defending their home from a criminal. Any killing always has a an effect on the community and families.

darthtang aw

How does our culture stack up to some of the others in terms of random violence, especialy murder against our fellow citizens?
Did violence in this country increase as a percentage once all of the hard drugs started taking over the streets when it became more available and affordabe to the common man?
That is actually hard to quantify as hard drugs have been around a long time. The peak of violence in the country concerning innocent civilians was during the prohibition era. Two things were happening then. Alcohol was outlawed and bootlegging became the largest criminal element. Criminal organizations gained much power during this. But this was also the era when heroin first started being pushed and sold in larger quantities....so I suppose you could say "hard drugs" increased the violence if one considered illegal alcohol a hard drug. But the violence has been tapering off within this country for the past several decades.
Now if we are looking at strictly gun related violence, that peaked in 1993.
I dislike comparing crime rates to other countries for any reason. As there are to many variables and differences that influence the final outcome. especially since countries categorize different crimes as violent from each other.