another stupid question/water changes

dad

I replyed to a post earlyer about water changes.I thought I would hear alot about it?
Is it necessary to do water changes?
I have had my tank set up for over a year now and have done only one. my nitrates are always alittle high but i blame that on my cheap skimmer(i'll get a good one soon).
All i hear is "water change" anymore.
What am i missing? Isn't a reef tank supposed to cycle through the "eco" system on it's own? When we do a water change, doesn't that disrupt the cycle?
I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.
I just feel like water changes has gone to far as a solution to a good tank. I feel less water changes would be better in the long run.
My tank may crash tonight, i do not know?
Any comments would be welcome.

fat_ed

Depends on bioload, coral selection, filtration and confidence in supplements. A strictly invert tank might succeed w/o water changes; while a community reef would probably experience some problems. I'm a believer in small (5-10%) water changes every two weeks. It takes almost no time at all, allows me to better regulate salinity, and gives me peace of mind.
As "water changes" are constantly taking place in true reefs, IMO water changes more closely replicate nature than leaving the aquarium to its own devices.

broomer5

In my opinion, doing some form of water changes on a regular basis is absolutely necessary.
Saltwater tanks are closed systems each one being different, but all having basically the same requirements. To these systems we add food, light and supplements. The fish, corals and inverts eat, respire and excrete wastes.
We then expect the various bacteria and filtration methods to completely remove all of these wastes from a closed system ???
What parameters do we test for ?
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, pH, ORP, Iodine, Strontium, Alkalynity ......etc.
These are just the chemical elements and compounds that we are aware of, and have test kits for. What about all of the chemical and biochemical compounds that arise over time in a tank that we do not test for, or that we are not even aware of ?
Everthing we add to these systems has to go somewhere. Chemical & biological processes occur at some given rate, depending on a lot of different factors, and I can assure you that even with the best equipment, filters, protein skimmers, addition of supplements and trace elements ..... animal and plant wastes WILL build up over time.
In closed systems - the solution to pollution is dilution. Water changes are worthwhile. They allow for the removal of accumulated chemical compounds and assures you that you are providing your tank inhabitants the best overall water quality.
It's simply good husbandry and tank managment.
Open the doors and windows and let some fresh air in once in awhile.
Brian ;)

nm reef

All of the responses so far support my believe that regular small(10% or so) water changes are vital to keeping a balanced system(especially in mt reef)...broomer made to great points
"the solution to pollution is dilution"
"Open the windows and let some fresh air in"
Both of these statements are reason enough to do approximately 10% water changes on a regular basis.
On my 55 reef I try to do 10% every third week.....same on the 55 fowlr/ls.....my smaller 29 only has 2 damsels and 2 snails and 2 red leg hermits......on this tank I do a small water change about once a month......I fear the potential for problems if I go much longer on any of these systems without doing a small change.....the potential for problems just seem to become greater without them.......

dad

Thanks for all the comments.
I did not mention that I have to add a 1/2 gallon of water every day because of evaporation. This adds elements back in my tank.
I now understand alot better.
Thanks again! Dad

My humble .02 here!
Dad:
"Topping off" your tank to make up for evaporation adds NOTHING to the tank but water! The desirable elements are in the salt mixes. Let's hope you are not topping off your evaporated water with salt water mix, I shall assume you are not. (The salt does not evaporate--only the water.)
So once again, all the above advice is excellent. To get those desirable elements back in the tank, water changes with good quality salt mix must be preformed.
HTH
Hermit

keitho

i have a 100 gallon reef and a 20 gallon FOWLRLS. i change 20 gallons in the big tank about every three weeks and change 10 gallons in the small tank during the same timeframe. i find that the larger percentage water changes work better in the fish-only tank because there are fewer sensitive inverts to upset than in the reef. also, i agree with hermit. if you are topping off with RO water (which you should be), it adds essentially NO minerals or required trace elements. besides, tap water contains a lot more copper than would be considered "good" for a reef environment. and, once again to reiterate hermit's point, the salt doesn't evaporate...only the water. hope this helps...

dad

lol, thanks again,
i top off the water with store bought distilled water. I have a ro system in my house but it has not been set up very long and so i do not really trust it yet, ;)

kelly

Dad,
Do not blame your nitrates on a cheap skimmer, I have one,(run off of a wooden 'airstone') and my nitrates are zero. I do water changes (5 gal.) every 2 weeks or so. I have not had any problems, and my current tank has been up about 10 yrs.

concon

Frequent water change will help you in two ways. 1) Eliminate some wastes like nitrates, ammonia and nitrites. 2)Water change will replenish trace elements in a closed saltwater system. Saltwater contains many trace elements like calcium, iodine, iron etc. These trace elements are very important because reef corals use these elements to growth. Doing frequent water change will eliminate the needs of adding trace elements into the tank. Good skimmer will skim away wastes and trace elements in your tank and you have to add trace elements into the tank if you don't do water change.
Good reef equipments and trace chemicals are expensive. Maybe frequence water change will be cheaper and healthier to your reel corals. Hope this will help.

burnnspy

I recommend at least some small portion of a water change weekly. You will see the difference in your livestock since you havent done them.
It replaces essential elements and is generally the right thing to do.
BurnNSpy

dad

I do add iodine,iron, calcium, and teck.m to my tank as directed. As far as cost is concerned; i never thought about it.
I may start doing water changes in the future. I want to keep a daily log for a few weeks on my tank first so i can monitor any changes it makes first.
Thanks, Dad

total

I think it has to do with the size of the tank. If you have a 35 gal tank I would do water changes, but not once a week like some people do. Maybe once a month.
Now if you have a 200 gal tank then I wouldn't do changes until there seems to be a problem brewing. The tank if set up correctly, it should clean it self. That just my opinion.
TTFN