Another tank drilling question

diy

Hello All,
Has anyone ever drilled their tank without laying it on its side. I bought a 40gal breeder for my in wall setup. The tank is in and I did all the trimming around it and I forgot to drill the tank. I can't drill the bottom because its tempered so, I plan on drilling the back with it still in the wall. What do you guys think?
thanks

slade1274

No problem, get a spray bottle with water to keep it wet. Your biggest issue will be getting a clean start.

king_neptune

A good way to get a nice start is find a peice of plywood. and use a wood bit to cut a hole the same size as your glass bit.
Then clamp that wood over the spot you want the hole in your glass. From there you use a spray bottle. Remember to let the bit do the work. Dont put pressure on it. A good method is to drill a few seconds...slow at first, then pick it up to about half speed. after 5 second count...stop...count to 5. then do it again. after about 5 passes like this with a spray between...you can cut all the way. It actually takes about 5 min tops to do it if you are careful. I have heard of people taking 30 min, but I don't see why it should ever take that long. Glassholes.com has a good video to watch..really corny and lame music..but they make it look easy.