Another unknown item

jim2766

This shell was purchased with pulsing xenia on it. This was very small on the shell at time of purchase, but has overgrown the xenia and grown rampant. Any idea as to what it is? There is still some xenia mixed in with it, but it is verry little, less than a half an inch high. Any help would be great! Thanks to all in advance!

btldreef

Originally Posted by Jim2766
http:///forum/post/3182123
This shell was purchased with pulsing xenia on it. This was very small on the shell at time of purchase, but has overgrown the xenia and grown rampant. Any idea as to what it is? There is still some xenia mixed in with it, but it is verry little, less than a half an inch high. Any help would be great! Thanks to all in advance!
I think it's sponge, but that's a guess. I'm really replying to push this back up on the top page and hopefully someone else will chime in.

spanko

Does it have any polyps that come out?
On another note you have an aiptasia anemone on the bottom left of the picture

cranberry

What the......?
I looks like it could a couple of things.... and then it also looks like it couldn't possibly be those things.
I repeat.....
What the.....!?!
Can I take your picture somewhere to ask someone?
The base totally look spongy. The projectiles are also something they do.... but I've never seen it have white growth tips or branch off quite like that. Very interesting.

jim2766

Yes, you may share the picture. It is growing on a half of a clam shell, it was very small when I first got it. I thought it was some type of root system for the xenia, but it has now overgrown the xenia. If you look close in the middle of the growth, you can see the xenia. It is growing around the shell now, and has fixed itself on the rock it sits on. Yes, I am aware of the aiptasia anemone. I have about 10 plus of them in the tank.

cranberry

I love it... so it IS a sponge. That's the coolest EVER.
But it seems not to be so cool to the OP. It's smothering/overrunning corals? You'll have to pull it off to save whatever else is in the rock. Might be best to pull the rock altogether.

spanko

Don't put the sponge out into the air, it will die. If it were me I would try to, under the water, frag a few of the Xenia off and attach them somewhere else.

jim2766

your picture looks like it is a single root, very narrow like a tree, mine is rooted all over and spills over onto the rock from all angles. Its grey, no real color, the tips are white, but thats where they are growing. If a peice breaks off, it does not grow.

spanko

Originally Posted by Jim2766
http:///forum/post/3182710
it might be a greenish/grey, very bland, the wife hates it. i dont know what to do with it.
Cranberry gets into that kind of thing. I bet she would take it from you. Might even have something she would trade.
Just sayin.................