Another worm in the tank

mz3bmx

I've seen 4 different types of worms in my tank and this is one of them. I noticed that when the worm saw a piece of food its body would come out of his head and grab the food almost like in the movie Alien with his tongue except it was the worm's body coming out of his skin.
Anybody know what this may be? beneficial or bad?

ophiura

Now there is something you don't see all that often in tanks. Looks like a nemertean (ribbon worm) to me. They are predatory I believe - but not necessarily on things we would notice...to be honest, I haven't seen too many of them come around.

ophiura

Google:
nemerteans reef tank tie a yellow ribbon
Seems like a good article, definitely written by an expert

Do you have a picture of the whole thing? They are pretty cool...might be of interest to someone if you don't want it (a la a mantis)

mz3bmx

Thanks and great article indeed. According to the article it says, "if you find one in your aquarium, don't be in a hurry to dispose of it. It might be well worth the time and expenditure of setting up a small species tank."
It's quite interesting watching this worm eat since its the only one that has a proboscis, tube like organ that comes out of it's body to eat, so i just might have to start a small species tank and toss my zoa eating spider in there with him lol
Ill take more pics tomorrow and try and capture its proboscis when its eating. The worm is about 5in and its proboscis extends out to like 3in, very strange creature.

cranberry

What the....??? I've heard of them, seen pictures of them.... but I've never had anyone find one in their tank. That thing is just plain AWESOME!

ophiura

I think it is very cool and i give you the big
for considering setting up a "tank of ill repute" for such cool critters.