Anthem I have a hydrometer question

scubanole

Have you ever heard of a hydrometer that floats adn measures temp. How accurate are they and will they work for hypo. The hydrometer cost about $10. I am not sure if it will be accurate enough. The LFS says it is accurate. Thanks.

krusk

scubanole
I have use that floating hydrometer with temperature. I have see a lot of ppl in town using it and all of the LFS here using it.
I think it is pretty accurate. If you don't have a calm water movement when you are trying to test.
$10 is about right
Anthem is right too, $10 you can also get an swing arm hydrometer, but I stay away from Swing arm.
I never done any hyposalinity, so I have no experience with the float hydrometer in the hypo condition.
Krusk

krusk

I shoud add this to clarify the accurate statement
it is accurate if you want to have your salinity at the level around 1.022 - 1.025
to have an exact number, it is not accurate

drkegel

I have used both types, the swing arm and the float w/temp type.
They both read about the same thing, as long as I'm measuring in the range of about 1.18 to 1.30. If I go above or beyond those ranges, there is a discrepancy between the two. Which is more accurate, I'm not sure. I'm saving up for an electric one, which are very accurate I've read.
I think that the swing arm type get a bad rep because people don't clean them often enough. They need to be rinsed after every use with clean fresh water. They need to be scrubbed with a tooth brush every once in a while.
I'm on my second float type because my first one broke. I'm lucky it didn't deposit the little BB's used as a "counterweight" in my tank.

broomer5

Yep
Many of the floating glass type hydrometers will indicate specific gravity at a given temperature.
Not all, but some as Anthem mentioned.
I have one - I don't care for it.
Reason being it is calibrated for specific gravity at 75 F. That's not so bad.
What I don't care for is the scale.
The scale is 4-1/2 inches in length.
S.G. 1.000 to 1.060
That leaves me with a small green "safe" zone from 1.20 to 1.25 with minor graduations of .01 values. This small zone that I plan to read is only 3/8 of an inch - of the total 4-1/2" scale.
Basically somewhere around 92% of the scale is totally worthless to me then - normally.
Narrow measuring zone with poor resolution in my opinion.
The trouble with this I find, as stated earlier, is making sure the water you are measuring is "completely" still, and even then, you must lean over and look to get a decent measurement, looking at it at near water-eye level.
If not - the reflection of the water seems to cause me some problems seeing the exact figure.
Refractometer is on it's way - should be here today or Monday.

scubanole

Anthem About how much do the large glass hydrometers cost. The LFS can get one that is calbrated for 78 degrees. It cost
$25 dollars. Is that the right one thanks.

scubanole

BTT, so it can be seen. AnthemI was wondering if the $25 is bout what the large glass hydrometer is the one you were mentioning. Thanks.