anthias ?

nu2salt

i am in the process of setting up a 90 sps tank and i love anthias i was wondering if i can put a school of them in the 90? they will be the only fish in the tank. with the exception of the clean up crew. i have not decided on which type but i really like the bartletts(sp?)

mcbdz

After your tank has matured and you know you have the water quality under control I think you could. I would just get females. One will change. I yhink I heard something about odd numbers are better. Maube someone that has actually had them will chime in.

1journeyman

I have kept Bartlett's Anthias.
They seem to do best if your tank has a steady supply of planktonic foods suspended in the current for them. My Refugium provides a steady stream of pods into the water that they love. They feed continously. Small frequent feedings are a must, from my experience.

nu2salt

how long do i need to let the tank mature before i add the anthias? 4-6 months. i will seed the tank with pods after the tank cycles.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by nu2salt
how long do i need to let the tank mature before i add the anthias? 4-6 months. i will seed the tank with pods after the tank cycles.
It's not so much adding pods, as making sure they are in the water columm. That's why a productive fuge is so important. Anthias feed by swimming against the current and grabbing food out of the water. Pods on the rocks will not do much for feeding them.
Once the planktonic feeding issue is addressed, I'd say you could add them a few months in.