Anthias

2quills

If it's any consolation the babby lyretail is in heaven right now. It immediately grouped up with the others.

2quills

They just went through copper treatment. Still a risk I know but I'm a selective buyer.

The Bartletts even seems to want to school with them but still seems a little unsure about these 3 new females that just showed up that are a little bigger than she is.

2quills

Got them from my local store. Fastest shipping there is lol. The ones on DD may still be there.

Salt Lifer

Since we're on the topic of Anthias, I'll add my question on here. *********** suggests a minimum 125 gallons. Is that for a group? Is it okay to keep a single male in a smaller (72gal) tank? I am restocking after my brutal maroon clown serial killer finally died. Going for a more peaceful community this time.

My current list:
Ocellaris clown pair
Coral beauty
Peppermint shrimp
Chocolate chip sea star
Hermits, emeralds and snails.

I plan on adding a royal gramma and maybe a tomini tang. My LFS has a whole gaggle of Lyretails and led me to believe that I could add one to my wish list. What say you?

lmforbis

Stock wise, 3 shouldn't be an issue. They do require a multiple feedings each day, if you aren't ready to feed multiple times daily I'd skip them. with more feeding comes a risk for higher nitrates or phosphates leading to algae.
I suspect the length requirement at LA has to do with their need to swim a lot and the preference for a 6' tank vs a 4' tank to accommodate that need rather than number of fish.
There are other species of anthias that dont require such a big tank.
I think the bigger issue is their feeding needs rather than tank size in your situation.

Salt Lifer

Good to know. I definitely try to avoid fish that require multiple feedings per day. Sometimes I don't even like feeding once a day.

jay0705

Then anthias are not for you lol. Multiple feedings can be misleading tho. Does that mean morning, noon, and night or just a few hrs in between?

lmforbis

My plan was twice a day pellets with my auto feeder., just a small amount. My lights come on at 12 PM and go off at 9PM. I was thinking around 1PM and 4PM then my normal feeding of frozen around 7:30 PM. I may skip the second auto feed and stick to once with pellets early in the light period and frozen in the evening. Of course I haven't got the fish yet.

2quills

Once they've settled in 2-3 times a day is fine.

The male i just got has yet to start eating. The females are rating like champs.

2quills

I'm not sure you'll have much luck with anthias and pellets but couldn't hurt to try.

My bartletts won't go near them.

I don't recall my old lyretail that I had in my 55g ever eating them either and I used to feed them all the time for my blenny who loved pellets.

Lately I've been doing 3 feedings a day. I mix it up the night before or in the morning. Feed a little in the morning, then refrigerate the feeding container, feed a little more when I get home and then feed what's left at night before lights out.

iidylii

I feed my tank at noon and 5 and my trio does not care for pellets either...

but yeah salt lifer...I have a trio in a 90 cube tank and they seem pretty happy plenty of space to swim

2quills

The problem I've seen with the ones I've had is not only are they slow eaters but they are very picky about what they eat. That's probably where the multiple feedings recommendation comes from.

By the time they've eaten a few tiny pieces of food the other fish have gobbled up the rest. They seem to like smaller pieces of mysis, squid and scallops. Won't eat large mysis, brine, pellets or krill.

Half the time they take a piece of food and spit it out a few seconds later.