Antisocial chromis

tormented

I have 3 blue-green chromis who do nothing but hang out in the corners all alone and apart. Nothing attacks them so thats not it.
Is it because there are too few of them?

1journeyman

I have 3 Chromis that stay in the water column in the middle of the tank, so I don't think it's the number you have.

tormented

had 5 originally 1 1/2 years ago. The were more normal last year, its just this year they got weird. Could it be that my water flow areas are too wrong for them? Its kind of hard to explain how its set up, but Ive got a u-shape spray bar down one side, across back bottom, and up again, 2 PH's, flow from a canister filter, and 700gph flow from my fuge. All the other fish seem normal and dont avoid the middle of the tank or hide in corners. Thats all the chromis do, hide all alone in corners. Only time they come out is feed time.

tormented

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I have 3 Chromis that stay in the water column in the middle of the tank, so I don't think it's the number you have.
They hide in corners, not in the water column.

1journeyman

Ya, that's my point... I have three that are acting normally.
I also have a very strong water flow and they seem to like it.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Tormented
They hide in corners, not in the water column.

It's difficult to know why fish do the things they do.
If they have been a school of five, it maakes me wonder about the possible genders of these last three.
When did the fourth and fifth die?

poniegirl

Chromis are a fish that forms harems, with a "main" male. If your harem leader is one of the fish that did not make it and you have 3 females left, that could be the reason for their behavior.

poniegirl

It's a bit beyond my knowledge of fish behavior. I don't think they will reform a school with new fish, but IDK for sure..

puff_puff_

gotta tell ya i dont know.. i bought 5 2 days ago.. they swam together all day.. by the night, 1 was hiding behind a rock and acting skittish.. now i cant find him, the other 4 are still grouped together.... so i am also confused on these guys schooling habbits..

seannmelly

I have 3 in my 125 and they are always swimming together and playing in the powerhead, which is actually kind of funny to watch because sometimes they get blown all the way across the tank. Now theres 2 anthias in there, and they hang out with them too.