any 1 ever done

boostinger

has any 1 ever bought something then decided to sell and make money off it? like you buy a frag for 5 bucks and then turn around and sell for 10 bucks.

theappe3

well i think what people do is that they buy frags for themselves and then let it grow out. frag it. and then sell the frag. like that you can get money back on your investment.

socal57che

I consider frag swaps/sales are helping save reefs so I feel bad charging more than I paid. It's not worth an extra 5 bucks to me. If you are OK with it and you have willing buyers then it's entirely up to you. A buyer should not ask what you paid for it. Just not good etiquette.

mfp1016

Don't forget too that reefkeeping is very much a communal hobby and thats just kind of a jerk thing to do. Like someone else said, get a frag grow it out then sell that for the orginal cost+little extra. Just my .02

1journeyman

Also don't forget that buying with the intention of reselling (on this forum at least) would constitute a "business" and will likely get you banned.

bbq bill

Capitalism rules! If someone is willing to purchase something you have for sale, why not? Doing what you love and pocketing or retrieving your investment is not a bad thing!

lovethesea

YES.....I was at the right place at the right time ( its about darn time THAT happened) and Best Buy just received Guitar Hero III for Wii. Well, I bought one for my son. It was the LAST one. As I left the store someone offered me almost TWICE the price.....cash. "no thanks". I think some of this craziness is getting out of hand. (line tickets, camping out for 2 days in the snow and ice, over paying.....) I also had 4 Hannah Montana tickets back in October that I purchased. Only needed 2 and sold the others at face value plus the fees that ticketmaster adds.

socal57che

Originally Posted by lovethesea
YES.....I was at the right place at the right time ( its about darn time THAT happened) and Best Buy just received Guitar Hero III for Wii. Well, I bought one for my son. It was the LAST one. As I left the store someone offered me almost TWICE the price.....cash. "no thanks". I think some of this craziness is getting out of hand. (line tickets, camping out for 2 days in the snow and ice, over paying.....) I also had 4 Hannah Montana tickets back in October that I purchased. Only needed 2 and sold the others at face value plus the fees that ticketmaster adds.
Um, Have you been hittin' the sauce?
I think you're in the wrong thread.

rcoultas

Originally Posted by socal57che

Ehhh, she's close enough to the topic - sort of comparitive analysis - besides... there is no Hanna Montana thread -

autofreak44

hey if it were a bad thing to flop for profit, then how would realestate developers, car restorers, etc make a living? i flop gopeds a lot and make some decent $$$

socal57che

Originally Posted by autofreak44
hey if it were a bad thing to flop for profit, then how would realestate developers, car restorers, etc make a living? i flop gopeds a lot and make some decent $$$
Real estate developers aren't helping the forest, they're cutting it down. Every time a frag is traded, a coral stays on the reef. That's just how I look at it as a steward of the earth.
As a father trying to feed kids, I'd look at it differently; but then again, if money were that big of a concern, the tanks would go away.
These are living organisms, not rusty old jalopies.

mfp1016

Originally Posted by autofreak44

Thats fine and dandy, and I whole heartdly agree. I am very pro capitalism, and I think a solid year studying Ayn Rand grants me the credibility to say so. My point initially was that this is a hobby, not an open market. Under Capitalism and in an economy, competition is healthy. But last I checked, saltwater fish and corals don't seem to obey the confines of capitalism nor do they seem to contribute to any kind of economy. In other words, apples and oranges.
Seriously if it wasn't as I termed it a "---- thing to do" then why aren't we Californians starting up mail-order fish shops right and left? Heck, I could make money just by going between LFS' and buying low and selling high, but its a hobby and the point is to develop a community.

mfp1016

but then again, if money were that big of a concern, the tanks would go away.
Well put.

lovethesea

totally the right thread......
I had people telling me I should sell both and could get a ton of money. People around here were offering $250 and up for the game and the sky was the limit on the concert tix. People were purchasing these items with the sole intent of selling for a huge profit.

cowfishrule

we bought 3 wii's yesterday. one for us, one for my mom, and the 3rd one by accident (we only needed 2, but wife bought 2 at the same time i was buying 1).
we could have easily thrown it up on ---- and made loot, but price gouging is a scum-move in my book. so i sold it to somebody for face value.
i dont believe in "flipping", so i dont practice it.

socal57che

Originally Posted by lovethesea
totally the right thread......
I had people telling me I should sell both and could get a ton of money. People around here were offering $250 and up for the game and the sky was the limit on the concert tix. People were purchasing these items with the sole intent of selling for a huge profit.
I totally misread your post. My brain must have been somewhere else because when I read it this morning it made perfect sense. Sorry

glaspie69

Let me ask this, is it right to enter a club and protray yourself as new to the hobby, looking for corals for YOUR tank. Using members generosity and good heartedness to purchase corals at very low prices to re-sell them at higher prices on a different saltwater forum.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Glaspie69
Let me ask this, is it right to enter a club and protray yourself as new to the hobby, looking for corals for YOUR tank. Using members generosity and good heartedness to purchase corals at very low prices to re-sell them at higher prices on a different saltwater forum.
Sounds like you are in a reef club in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and have knowledge of boostinger's business practices. I read through all his posts and it seems that he is looking for justification in this thread. Looks like a business to me. All his posts are about sales. (except for some football)

zeke92

i agree with (i think) third post. the one about saving reefs. thats one big reason i got into this, i want to breed seahorses, and now i'm getting into corals aswell, to help save reefs and stuff.
it's a shame though we can't do much to save the bigger fish.
but selling for more then i bought would make me feel bad

glaspie69

Sounds like you are in a reef club in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and have knowledge of boostinger's business practices. I read through all his posts and it seems that he is looking for justification in this thread. Looks like a business to me. All his posts are about sales. (except for some football)

I can neither comfirm or deny those accusations. Actually I was not only a member I happened to be on the board a few times and I think I might have been president of the club once.......maybe.