any/all information on green or spotted dragonets please!!

ckehl

im thinking about getting one of these beautiful fish..
so id like to know feeding habits, hardiness, how often they are seen in the open, etc etc
thanks a lot guys!

T

tizzo

Max length=2.8 inches
range=western pacific
minimum aquarium size=20 gal
foods & feeding
=Challanging to feed. Must be provided with plenty of natural prey, which can be introduced on LR, and LS. Will eat vitamen enriched live brine shrimp and live black worms, but is a methodical feeder that does not fare well with competitors.
Reef safe, will eat brown flatworms.
Captive care
=This exquisite fish should only be kept in an established aquarium with live substrate and plenty of hiding places; it will starve in a new or barren tank. Should not be kept with anemones, which will eat this fish. This is a great choice for reef aquariums. It will ignore other species, but males will attack male conspecifics, as well as male S. splendidus. May bury itselkf in the sand at night or if threatened. Males have a more elongate first dorsal spine than females.
Marine Fishes
pg339
As far as hiding, mine hides pretty much all the time. She's not hiding cause she's scared, she just prefers to be in the rockwork looking for pods to eat. I have 180 pounds of LR so she has not put a dent in the pod population, but I would be afraid to get a mate. She does not, has not, ever eaen any prepared foods that I have put into the tank. HTH

lovethesea

we have about 100+ lbs of LR. Our guy has been the beauty of our tank for about 4 years now. Quite the show off too. I believe he "snoozes" in a little cavity of some rock and thats about the only time you don't see him.
Jimmy has NEVER eaten any prepared food or even looked remotely interested. Strictly is pod population in the tank.

fedukeford

i have a scooter blenny (which is pretty much the same as a dragonnet) in my 55 gallon with 115 lbs of LR, hes out in the open around 75% of the time, but is usually on the rocks, i was lucky enough to get one that DOES eat frozen food, nori sheets, and flake food, ive heard only about 5% will eat prepared food

evaray3

Hey there, I have had a green dragon for about 8 months and he eats off the live rock and suprizingly loves frozen brine shrimp as well.

ter

i dont know about any of yous but i have 2 pair one blue and one green and they eat anything i put in the tank along with any pods they find i have a 176 bow front and have had them now for 3 years they are doing great they are the prittiest is when they do their breeding swim, the males leave each other alone as they are not the same species and i guess the tank size also

corally

Originally Posted by evaray3
Hey there, I have had a green dragon for about 8 months and he eats off the live rock and suprizingly loves frozen brine shrimp as well.

Frozen brine shrimp has no nutrients, though, and it is extremely rare to find a dragonet that will eat anything except pods. Even if you get one that will eat brine it will eventually die of malnutrition. To support a dragonet you should have a tank that is at least a year old with 100 lbs + of LR.

connor

Originally Posted by corally
Frozen brine shrimp has no nutrients, though, and it is extremely rare to find a dragonet that will eat anything except pods. Even if you get one that will eat brine it will eventually die of malnutrition. To support a dragonet you should have a tank that is at least a year old with 100 lbs + if LR.

perfect i agree 100000000000000000000%

mr_bill

Originally Posted by connor
perfect i agree 100000000000000000000%

I agree with that too, I'd see if you can sub mysis instead.