Any answers?

vi3tb0i

Hey on my liverock i have these algea and my clownfish are eating it could i feed my clowns once a day or do i still have to keep my feeding schedule

angelsrock

Originally Posted by Schadiest1
i only feed every other day (to keep nitrates down) and everything in my tank is happy & healthy.
i know your tryin to keep the nitrates down but that's a little much. at the least you should feed once a day. you realize that marine fish are mostly grazers, unless a predator, which is constantly eating throughout the day. not saying you should feed like 5 times a day but 2 would be good. if you are having problems with nitrates at feeding 2 times a day then there is something wrong with your sytem, or how often you do water changes.

vi3tb0i

o okay but i am still wondering if my clown eat things off my liverock should i still feed them 2 times a day or once a day?

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by angelsrock
i know your tryin to keep the nitrates down but that's a little much. at the least you should feed once a day. you realize that marine fish are mostly grazers, unless a predator, which is constantly eating throughout the day. not saying you should feed like 5 times a day but 2 would be good. if you are having problems with nitrates at feeding 2 times a day then there is something wrong with your sytem, or how often you do water changes.
I disagree. I feed my fish every other day as well. "You realize that marine fish are mostly grazers" is one of the many reasons that I feed once every other day.
Vi3tb0i-
To answer your question, you should feed once a day, if not every other day. Do some searching on these boards and you'll see that there are varying opinions on feeding schedules.

dogstar

Clowns are mostly carnivours but I guess they would eat algea if hungry enough or not getting the right kind of foods. If you have a mated pair then it could be that they are just cleaning the rock in an area to lay eggs on.
What do you feed your clowns now and how long have you had them. If you normaly feed twice a day you could cut back to once a day and see if they stay healthy. I feed my clowns mysis shrimp and prime reef food every other day and thay do fine. Ive had them now 4 yrs. I have never seen them eat algea and I feed my tangs nori as well. They do clean the rocks like I said about once or twice a week near their anemone.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
"You realize that marine fish are mostly grazers" is one of the many reasons that I feed once every other day.
that makes no sense. if they are constant grazers then why would you feed every other day. granted you may have live rock, but that is not something you should rely on feeding your fish unless you have fish like mandarins. they are good suplements but not a staple food. clowns should be fed at least once a day and as much as 2 times a day as they do not eat stuff off live rock. stuff like tangs and angels do eat stuff off of live rock, but like i said above should not be relied on for food. they need foods such as nori everyday and depending on the species need other nourishments. if you read books such as "marine fishes" these fish are suppose to be fed 3 times a day and no fewer.

guineawhop

Originally Posted by angelsrock
that makes no sense. if they are constant grazers then why would you feed every other day. granted you may have live rock, but that is not something you should rely on feeding your fish unless you have fish like mandarins. they are good suplements but not a staple food. clowns should be fed at least once a day and as much as 2 times a day as they do not eat stuff off live rock. stuff like tangs and angels do eat stuff off of live rock, but like i said above should not be relied on for food. they need foods such as nori everyday and depending on the species need other nourishments. if you read books such as "marine fishes" these fish are suppose to be fed 3 times a day and no fewer.
i definitely agree, in order for them to live as they would in the wild they should be supplied with at least 2 feedings a day, making sure that you are not over feeding each time of course. and like he said if you are having problems with nitrates or nitrites, and ammonia then you need better filtration and water circulation.