Any body from Minnesota?

fishygurl

Hey im just wondering how many people are in Minnesota. And if anybody goes to Wet World? Or maybe even work there? Just tell me if you live in Minnesota what Saltwater fish stores you like and if you work at a Saltwater Store and which one.
Thanks in advance!

petjunkie

I'm from Minnesota! Ha, local fish store, what the h3ll is that? I'm from International Falls where the nearest good fish store is 5 hours away. I order online but good to see another Minnesotan on here, I think we're a minority.

fishygurl

so do you order from SWF.com? if you do how long does it take to get to your house and how long do you think it will take to get in the twin cities area? If i order the 45-50lb. live rock? and is it faster or longer or the same if you order something like an invertebrate, coral, or fish sorry to bother you.

elfdoctors

Hi! I'm from northwestern Wisconsin but do most of my LFS shopping in the twin cities. I have purchased several items from Wet World. Their quality is good but IMO their prices are quite high (usually more than double the prices on this site). They have decent expertise - but they did sell me a blue tang with ich and then gave me incorrect advice. (I eventually successfully treated that fish with hyposalinity (although I lost several other fish) and that fish is still thriving 3 years later). I stop there when I am taking my kids to the Minnesota Zoo.
The closest store to me is Forest Lake Pets. It serves for an emergency but has limited selection and expertise. My two favorite stores down there are Something Fishy and World of Fish. They are only about a mile from each other on the same road (66th Street in Mpls/Richfield).
I have purchased more livestock from swf.com than the 4 stores combined. I love the convenience (I always have the overnight orders arrive on Tuesday - my day off.) I also have been quite happy with the prices and the quality. I have even ordered several times in the middle of the winter with few losses (which were always replaced). I also have not had any significant disease problems since I started buying from swf.com (and after I set up a quarantine tank).
I haven't bought any fish for almost a year as my tank is doing well. I have mostly only been replacing invertebrates and expanding my corals.
In summary, I like to buy fish and invertebrates from swf.com. I'll buy corals from swf.com also but their availability has been quite spotty so I have tended to buy these from the local stores.

fishygurl

o so your saying that when you buy your stuff from swf.com that it only takes like a day? is it really that quick?

elfdoctors

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
o so your saying that when you buy your stuff from swf.com that it only takes like a day? is it really that quick?
The orders are shipped FedEx. All fish, corals, invert orders are shipped overnight. If you watch the FedEx shipping, the orders are picked up in Florida around 4pm central time. They have always arrived by 1:30pm the next day (even in the small town that I live in). I think that live rock orders will arrive in 2 days.
I have always been able to get my order when I have wanted it. I usually try to order a few days in advance. You can specify in the additional instructions area if the order has to arrive on a certain day.
The live rock which is shipped is better quality than what you can get locally. It has to be cured as there will be some dieoff of anything shipped through the mail. However, the quality of the live rock available locally I have found has been quite poor (more base rock than live rock with very little coraline coverage).

fishygurl

So SWF.com has coralline algae covered in it? That would be soo cool and do they ever have any hitch hikers like corals or crabs or anything? i just ordered 65-75 pounds of live rock today! With pretty much all the money i had saved up (im 13) and my 72 is 100% self funded.