Any Boyscouts out there?

t316

So Grouper, if you went to Philmont in '78 and '79, I assume you went as a scout?

B

bkneeland

i was in scouting all thru school, went to Philmont in 1987 and became an Eagle Scout in 1988.

shogun323

I was years and years ago but I was kicked out. I just wanted to hang out and play kickball and "steal the bacon" but they wanted me to work on badges. Since I never did the badge thing I was asked to leave.

nicetry

Cubmaster and Troop committee member for 14 years. Oldest is an Eagle. Middle went through first class, but lost interest. Youngest just got his Arrow of Light and will cross over to the Troop in two weeks. Still one of the best programs out there and coming up on their centennial in 2010.

t316

Good to see there are a few of us on here. Iv'e been a leader for about 6 years, currently an ASM. Oldest son is about to finish up Life, middle son is Webelo 2, and youngest starts Tiger this year.
Shogun, you must have been bad. It's hard to get "kicked out".
I have not been to Philmont yet. Our Troop is currently on a waiting list for '09, so if that doesn't pan out, we will reapply for '10. Looking forward to it.

abethedog

I'm a former scout.
Funny story. I was remodeling an office where I work with a co-worker who is an Eagle scout. We found $590 above a ceiling tile. He just looked at me and said: "no way! I'm an Eagle scout." That comment convinced me not to take the money. I gave it to my boss and he replied: "I used to keep money all over back when I was jonesing really bad. That's enough for two 8-balls (cocaine). Thanks a lot, I wouldn't have known if you took it."

t316

Originally Posted by abethedog
http:///forum/post/2463037
I'm a former scout.
Funny story. I was remodeling an office where I work with a co-worker who is an Eagle scout. We found $590 above a ceiling tile. He just looked at me and said: "no way! I'm an Eagle scout." That comment convinced me not to take the money. I gave it to my boss and he replied: "I used to keep money all over back when I was jonesing really bad. That's enough for two 8-balls (cocaine). Thanks a lot, I wouldn't have known if you took it."
You know what though abethedog, as much as I love the outdoors and the kids and everything else...you just summed it up. That's what it's all about. How many other organizations out there can teach core morals that you actually remember and put to use later in life? Thanks for the story.

crashbandicoot

I went through scouts from bobcat to boyscout . Unfortunatly we were in a low income area and didnt do a lot of stuff other than hang out at the pack leaders house and play tag . about the coolest thing we ever got to do was shoot the bean bags with the catapult the leader made . We didnt even get to build it . sad to say it was more of a babysiter for a few hours . Eventually my mom decided drinking rum was more of a priority . So I did learn some things from it . most importantly was that your kids activities are more important than booze .
kinda sad when your mom shows up to award cerimonies drunk and with friends from the bar .

t316

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2463470
I went through scouts from bobcat to boyscout . Unfortunatly we were in a low income area and didnt do a lot of stuff other than hang out at the pack leaders house and play tag . about the coolest thing we ever got to do was shoot the bean bags with the catapult the leader made . We didnt even get to build it . sad to say it was more of a babysiter for a few hours . Eventually my mom decided drinking rum was more of a priority . So I did learn some things from it . most importantly was that your kids activities are more important than booze .
kinda sad when your mom shows up to award cerimonies drunk and with friends from the bar .

WOW...now that was bad. Sorry for your experience.

flboyinohio

Eagle scout here, started as a tiger cub and kept going till I was done. I say I will probally never force my children to do anything (only 21 so I have alot of time to change my mind haha ) but if i do have any boys they will be involved in scouts. Young men learn so many great leadership qualities without even realizing they are being taught lessons that will impact them forever. Plus I feel it is one of the greatest fraternities a man can belong to

t316

Originally Posted by FLBOYINOHIO
http:///forum/post/2567828
Eagle scout here, started as a tiger cub and kept going till I was done. I say I will probally never force my children to do anything (only 21 so I have alot of time to change my mind haha ) but if i do have any boys they will be involved in scouts. Young men learn so many great leadership qualities without even realizing they are being taught lessons that will impact them forever. Plus I feel it is one of the greatest fraternities a man can belong to
Agreed

Congrats on Eagle. I have had to push my oldest a little, usually to go to meetings, but I think it's well worth it.
BTW, we didn't make it into Philmont for '09, so we applied, and got accepted to Sea Base in Florida. Anybody been there?

kaingers

I recieved my Eagle in 2001 from Troop 5 of Wake Forest. My father is still very much involved, and I hope to go back to it once I get out of college. Never been to Sea Base in FL, been to just about every camp in Western NC and VA.