any divers out there?

craig65

the next class is April 5th, that gives me all of june and july to dive the reefs of daytona for practice. the diive instructor has day trips local for not that much. When I get comfotable I'll take my own boat out and dive the sites I have fished all these years. Would love to see what all thost dots and dashes on the fishfinder really are! We found a four star resort in San Jose that is at a marina and includes a dive trip and sport fishing. 7 days 6 nights for around 3500.00

Thanks for all the input looking foward to our first dive
What kind of camera can I take down there ?

craig65

Originally Posted by spinylobster
http:///forum/post/2524139
Im right down the road from you in the brevard county area, been diving for fun, lobster, as well as for a career, and it is one of the best things ive ever done, as someone else posted "its always different and exciting". Its a must especially living here!
Have you ever heard of Discover Diving in Port orange? Are they any good?
They have been there for as long as I can remember, just neverr had a reason to go in there before
www.divefl.com

mojohoojo

I live all the way across the world, I dive almost every weekends and if you need to get away to a totally new world.....this is the ticket!
Dived in GBR, Sipadan Island, Thailand, and just right out of my doorstep

dragonzim

I am PADI Advanced and Wreck diving certified. Dont go too much anymore but I've been diving for about 12 years. I got certified in NY and have dove in Florida, Cozumel and St Lucia. There is really nothing at all like the feeling of breathing underwater and the effortless feeling that you have when cruising around underwater. Most shops that I've heard of only require you to buy a mask, fins and a snorkel. You can rent everything else you need.

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by craig65
http:///forum/post/2525813
is ther much of a difference in a PADI cert and a SSI cert?
Probably not. The diving industry is mostly self-regulated. Most agencies have similar requirements for the different levels of certification. I was certified my one agency years ago out in California, then completed my advance certification thru NAUI a few years ago.
As long as you are certified by a recognized agency, your certification should be recognized world-wide.

firerescue

Once you get certified you must go to the keys.
Go to pennekamp, not sure i spelled it right, there is wrecks and reefs. A must dive is the coast guard cutters bibb and duane. both are awesome although the duane is a little better since it is upright and about 5 years ago they sank a amphibous land craft also around there which i have not dove yet but definately would be something i would do. Personally a must is a dive computer because i never like using the tables but a computer makes it so much nicer.

sluggo

http:///forum/post/2524849
Have you ever heard of Discover Diving in Port orange? Are they any good?
They have been there for as long as I can remember, just neverr had a reason to go in there before
www.divefl.com

Hey Craig65, your in my old stomping grounds. I was raised in Daytona Beach and my Brother still lives in Port Orange. I got certified in 1970 at Herbs Dive Shop on Atlantic Avenue over in The "Shores. Loved it back then and would love to get back in it. I was certified through NASDS. Don't know if they even still exist.
Don Saunders

http:///forum/post/2526778
Is there any law that says you can't collect new stuff for your tank?
there are certain polyps you can collect but they are very strictly enforced.... we were out lobster diving a few weeks back and the marine patrol was all over us for a starfish, he even wasn't sure on the rules and called it in. Luckily I had done my research b4 and new it was legal!!!
P.S.
I would never take anything that im not supposed to, always do your research b4 you grab

fats71

http:///forum/post/2524850
send me a list.

Sent you a list have not heard back.
I was certified in saint augustine awsome shop there pool in the store etc everything you need and the instructor really lives to teach you.

njdiver1

Ok I have to chime in..... I own a new dive shop in New Jersey so here is my 2 cents....
Learning to dive is the most incredible experience you will ever have! All your concerns should disappear - with a good instructor.... you should feel comfortable in your new environment.
As for equipment, you should absolutely own your own mask, fins and snorkel. Most shops require this as basic equipment. After you get certified, make an educated decision about your gear and how often you plan on using it. A good shop should help (not force) you into equipment. As for used gear - I would only buy it if whoever is selling it can show you proof of annual service. Rememer, this is your life you are talking about... I would hope it's worth more than saving a few bucks.
Again, find a good store that makes you comfortable in your area... and if you're lucky - you'll get to see something like this... GOOD LUCK!

K

kikithemermaid

I'm PADI certified. It was really hard and scary for me because I have asthma, but I'm only 20 so my doctor said it would be okay since I'm younger.
And I second the owning your own equipment. You want to know your equipment head to toe, god forbid something happens with someone else's.

rockette

Certified diver here as well. I typically only dive on vacations though since I live around the NYC area. Wish I had an underwater camera for the places I've been, it's a MUST have and will keep you addicted. It's pretty much the reason why I want a saltwater aquarium.

rbrockm1

I just got certified last semester. I've only been to ginnie springs in florida, but going to the keys this summer. hopefully i get to dive there.

A

alexa11

I'm certified as well, i was certified in Indonesia...the most beautiful and amazing reefs I've seen (not that ive seen many!). since i live in ME i only go when im on vacation, so ive been in dominican and bahamas, and they have nothing on Indonesia! its why i decided to get a saltwater tank! : ) anyone from around southern maine?

marka1620

15 yrs (PADI)..... Have not done many dives in that time. Probably about 100 or so. Live in MASS and not much as far as visibility here. Dived in Mexico which was great.
Last dive was at the Farallon Islands off the coast of San Fran. for Great White Sharks. Was a Hookah dive as you are in a cage. Great none the less.