Any DIYers wanna make a little money?

P

patrick g.

Can someone build one of these (or something similar) for me for under $500? It must be Dual 10,000K 250w MH + Dual Super Actinic 110w VHO. Electronic ballasts & URI VHOs preferred. This is going in a custom canopy for my 75g RR, so I'd like it to be 46.5", but 48" would probably work.

a_fender69

I would not expect a legitimate response because the cost in parts alone will be around that. Check prices first and you will see what I mean.

broncofish

I just read post a little more carefully, you just want the retro fit, heck yeah I could do that, or I could send you the links, and instruction and you could do it yourself for a little less.

nm reef

Sounds like a project for the folks over in the equipment forum.....hope you get it built and installed.
I'm going to move this thread over there and close it here...best of luck.

broncofish

Just so you know It is a "legitimate" offer I really think you should do this yourself. Here is numbers I came up with for you VHO ballast endcaps, bulb clips, and all wires 135.00(I could find it even cheaper if you give me enough time. MH you can save a lot of money using e-bay(I just got a 400w ballast for $65) as far as reflectors remember the URI bulbs have them built in, so you just need little ones for the MH they run 29 bucks for the real nice ones.

broncofish

already found all the stuff for him on the VHO's, and I am hunting for the electronic ballast now, may not find it as cheap as he wants, but I might get him close. I think he can get this done himself for around that price range. I answered about 7 e-mails on this last night, and half of those people had no idea that you could get a dual vho ballast for less that 150. I know Icecaps are nice ut on a budget the workhorse 7 should do fine.

broncofish

as a matter of fact I just found single mh ballast(icecap electronic) for 125 so that puts it at $250, plus the great deal some one pointed me to last night on the vho(2 110w barebones retro) for $62, that puts the grand total @ $312, add the bulbs, socket and misc, and it will push you up around mid 500's to low six. This is all on very minimal research using all brand new products. I think given a little flexability, and patience patrick can get very close to his goal.

broncofish

Just found a PFO EYE ballast, dual 250w @ 169, I think a lot of people get scared away from this hobby because of price. I know it is not for the poor, but with a little bargain hunting you can find a deal.

broncofish

Not to keep going on about this but here is what I have come up with. I'm sure someone could do better than myslef......
Vho Barebones kit 2x110w _______________________62.95
MH ice cap ballast X 2__________________________250.00
MH 12,000 k bulbs x 2___________________________160.00
Mogul sockets, bracket and power cord______________34.00
URI VHO bulbs_________________________________50.00
Grand total____________________________________556.95

P

patrick g.

If I'm not really interested in energy conservation, is there a good reason why I would want electronic ballast over the old "tar and coil"?

broncofish

i have not ran both so I can not make a truely informed decision on this. Maybe let someone who has ran both give you an opinion. have you e-mailed me so I can hook you up with those links?

P

patrick g.

Yes, links please, by all means! Especially for the IceCap MH Ballast.