Any Dog Lover's here??

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by TriGa22
anyone here have a basenji
They quite a primative african dog and can have some aggression as well as other behavior issues, I person at our dog park has one and luckily hasn't had any problems.
From Wikipedia
"The Basenji is one of the most ancient dog breeds. Originating on the continent of Africa, it has been venerated by humans for thousands of years. Basenjis can be seen on steles in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs, sitting at the feet of their masters, looking just as they do today, with erect ears and tightly curled tail."

tangwhispr

Hate to Hijack this thread, but do any of you feed Holistic? We have since day one realized the importance of a good diet, We have tried Solid Gold, Canidae, Eagle Pack and have finally settled on Burns, Which is a local company which is sold nationwide. For all of you who feed Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro, etc...look into some quality food, which doesn't cost much more, I feel some of the top Holistic Brands are:
Burns
Canidae
Solid Gold
Eagle Pack
Some say they are Holiistic and have no byproducts or Chemical Preservatives but often they do.

emmitt2

We started using eagle pack at the beginning of the year and their coats definitely seem softer and brighter.

michelle l

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
Hate to Hijack this thread, but do any of you feed Holistic? We have since day one realized the importance of a good diet, We have tried Solid Gold, Canidae, Eagle Pack and have finally settled on Burns, Which is a local company which is sold nationwide. For all of you who feed Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Nutro, etc...look into some quality food, which doesn't cost much more, I feel some of the top Holistic Brands are:
Burns
Canidae
Solid Gold
Eagle Pack
Some say they are Holiistic and have no byproducts or Chemical Preservatives but often they do.
I feed 100% holistic.....I feed my Dane an all raw meat and organ diet. That's about as holistic as you can get.

fanker

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
I have 2, a Weim and a Rhodesion Ridgeback, He is 11 months and she is 8 1/2 months
Here they are at the local dog park

And Being good at home

werent u trying to get rid of them on --?

emmitt2

Anyone with show dog experience, can you answer a question for me?
Our swissie has his first show tomorrow and i know absolutely nothing about showing(wife is doing it all
). Two different friends of mine with show experience both say that our dog has 0% chance of winning since he is only 6 months old and clearly looks like a juvenile still. They said judges never will let juvenile dogs win since you dont know what they will look like when they mature. Is this true?

michelle l

Originally Posted by emmitt2
Anyone with show dog experience, can you answer a question for me?
Our swissie has his first show tomorrow and i know absolutely nothing about showing(wife is doing it all
). Two different friends of mine with show experience both say that our dog has 0% chance of winning since he is only 6 months old and clearly looks like a juvenile still. They said judges never will let juvenile dogs win since you dont know what they will look like when they mature. Is this true?
I've never shown but I have many friends and associations who have. I'm not sure about Swissies, but with Danes you have to have an outstanding example of a dog to win at such a young age. It is true in Danes that they need to be a little older to take points, mainly because large dogs develop and mature much later than small dogs. Also, they generally don't have enough experience to win and are still very much puppies. :)
But don't let that stop you. Go anyway and let your puppy get the experience under his belt so that he can learn each time, and when he is older he will be that much better. The experience you will gain will be invaluable later on. Who knows, he may suprise us all and win! Good luck!

emmitt2

Thank you , thats what i thought. Even though he looks VERY good, you can definitely tell he isn't mature. He doesn't have the size or shape to his head mature male swissies do. I can't imagine that he will win this young and am trying to keep the wifey from getting carried away( TOO LATE!!)

mrdc

I have a mini dashund and jack russell but I only have a pic in my account of my dashund (Toby).

emmitt2

Just a little update. My swissie didn't win his 1st show this weekend
but it was expected since he's still a puppy. He did get "reserve winner" though :notsure: Sounds like 2nd place to me but they tried to tell me it was better, lol
The judge did say she was very impressed with him for his 1st show so hopefully maybe he will win next month in Tampa. Heres a bad pic of him

p.s.- a photographer really liked him (or my wife
) and said his pic may be in the Palm Beach Post tomorrow, we'll see.

michelle l

Originally Posted by emmitt2
Just a little update. My swissie didn't win his 1st show this weekend
but it was expected since he's still a puppy. He did get "reserve winner" though :notsure: Sounds like 2nd place to me but they tried to tell me it was better, lol
The judge did say she was very impressed with him for his 1st show so hopefully maybe he will win next month in Tampa. Heres a bad pic of him

p.s.- a photographer really liked him (or my wife
) and said his pic may be in the Palm Beach Post tomorrow, we'll see.
That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It speaks of great things to come for your boy......

tnt

Domino - Dalmation, Thor - Boxer, Chloe - Boston Terrier
We started using Pet Pantry dog food about a year ago. It's not exactly holistic, but it's not supposed to have preservatives. I fed Purina One before that. I definitely noticed a big difference in my dogs when I switched.