any good cheap light for a nano?

thangbom

hi hi guys.. im setting up a nano.. ( it's actually set up already.. just did it a few hrs ago)
it's a 7.5 gallon i think. has a 150w glass heater ( i know it's way way too much but.. i got this whole set-up for free )
a whisper hob filter and a dual 9w pc light..
i know i can do softies, but i wanna get something that lps can thrive in... i dont really wanna put to much $$ into this nano so anyone know of a decent but cheap lighting system??

chipmaker

YOU can pack quite a few compact florescents over it. IIRC the 24/28 watt PC will fit length wise, but buy lretro kits with remotely mounted ballasts. I belive you could probably get 3 x 24/28watt PC over that tank, maybe more..not sure if its long enough for the 32/34 watt pc's. Gonna need a cooling fan or two, and I would pitch the whisper hob and go with as big a Aqua Clear that will fit on it. An AC 110 may fit it just fine, and it will add another 1.5 gal of water and a place to put the heater as well, and even a fission skimmer in that hob filter fuge'
There is an online source selling 24 to 65 watt PC ballasts. They are electronic type and will power bulbs from 24-65 watts. They are on sale for $24.00 each. Located in california and is a well known suppier of aquarium lights and parts. The ballasts I am referencing may have to have the leads lengthened, but its a simple process. If you need the website email me.

thangbom

well im trying to get the best bang for the buck.. but im really trying not to spend much $$ on this nano.. i probaly wont put a fuge or skimmer on this thing.. ill just do a 2-3 gal wc every week .. since i mess with my tanks all the time.. i already have a 18 watt coralife pc on te tank ( they are 9 watt 10k and 9 watt accetenics ) but i think it's kinda weak for what i have in mind for this nano.. ... and as for the demenshionss are 16'' long by 8'' deep by 10'' high.... has a 1.5 - 2'' sandbed and currently only 1 lr ( i have plenty but wont put them in till it's fully cycled ) and i dont knbow why but i kinda wanna go with t5 HO on this little thing just to mess with t5... but i dont wanna spend the money.. soo.... ( i know.. i want but wont spend ) i wanna keep zoo's and some lps ... ( like a bubble,frogspawn or a hammer ) dont know tho.. it all depend on my light.. but like i said.. that is what im aiming for..
i think over all.. im willing to spend around $40 on a new lighting .. if not ill just do softies.. and stick with the old ...

aeval

This is an Odyssea 13 in. 24wt 50/50 that will fit your tank. We paid $29.95. I don't know of any at $40.00 that will be strong enough for hard corals. :notsure:

chipmaker

For about 75 bucks you can put 96 watts of PC light over it with 3 of the $24 ballasts and 32 watt bulbs.
From what I have seen at the lfs here and heard other places, T-5 does not do right without the right reflectors......I dunno really as I do not use T5...

keith burn

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
well im trying to get the best bang for the buck.. but im really trying not to spend much $$ on this nano.. i probaly wont put a fuge or skimmer on this thing.. ill just do a 2-3 gal wc every week .. since i mess with my tanks all the time.. i already have a 18 watt coralife pc on te tank ( they are 9 watt 10k and 9 watt accetenics ) but i think it's kinda weak for what i have in mind for this nano.. ... and as for the demenshionss are 16'' long by 8'' deep by 10'' high.... has a 1.5 - 2'' sandbed and currently only 1 lr ( i have plenty but wont put them in till it's fully cycled ) and i dont knbow why but i kinda wanna go with t5 HO on this little thing just to mess with t5... but i dont wanna spend the money.. soo.... ( i know.. i want but wont spend ) i wanna keep zoo's and some lps ... ( like a bubble,frogspawn or a hammer ) dont know tho.. it all depend on my light.. but like i said.. that is what im aiming for..
i think over all.. im willing to spend around $40 on a new lighting .. if not ill just do softies.. and stick with the old ...
The 24w light will work

thangbom

ok.. $24 for the 24 watt pc ehh.... ok that is do-able.. where did you gey it?? and is it 2 bulbs?? i would like to have some acetenics along with 10k

keith burn

ok.. $24 for the 24 watt pc ehh.... ok that is do-able.. where did you gey it?? and is it 2 bulbs?? i would like to have some acetenics along with 10k
It's a 24w light, only 1 bulb. A 50/50 it's 13" and is made my odyssea.
I got it from my lfs.

keith burn

k k thanks guys !!!
now i got to go see if the local fish dude have anything..
Look on line as well.