Any good?: Instant Ocean "Natural Nitrate Reducer."

ashkan

I bought a bottle to see if it helps with the unmanageable levels of nitrates in my tank.
Anyone used it before? Any results?

wangotango

What are your levels like? What is your stock and maintanence routine like?
Honestly, it shouldn't be hard to maintain reasonable levels of nitrate. Overstocking, overfeeding, or lack of waterchanges will not help the problem.

I think the only NATURAL nitrate remover is a super strict regiment of water changes. But if that doesnt work for you or hasnt worked for you and this is a last resort for you give it a shot and good luck with it.

ashkan

Everything is great except the nitrates. I service my canister filter monthly, putting a new screen/pad and new carbon, and I scrub down the entire filter.
My nitrates are well over 80ppm
I have a great CUC, I do water changes every 3 weeks. I only use water from my LFS. I feed only what my fish can eat 1 time a day. So this was kind of like a last resort.

I personally think your nitrate problem comes from water changes every 3 weeks- before you resort to chemicals to remedy try doing weekly water changes. I also would invest in my own RO/DI unit- beats the lugging water in buckets routine and you know for a fact your getting great water, and you can always make more to have on hand for whatever you need. Do you also use LFS water for top off? or do you use treated tap?
Remember in my eyes the only NATURAL nitrate reducer is fresh saltwater.

A

abeandlulu

I agree with making your own RO water. I used to work at a LFS and they Never wanted to replace any of the filters on the RO units. Just my 2 cents.

J

jstdv8

a few things before your "last resort"
most people who are serious about thier tanks service their canisters once a week. they trap nitriates like a magnet.
it is advised to do 10% water change every week or 20% every two weeks.
as mentioned,get your own RO/DI and a TDS meter
And lastly most fish don't need to eat once a day. once every other day or even every 3 days is ok.
These things are all doable before you go all "last resort" on us.

baloo6969

Return the masking chemical.
Sell ur can filter(or put it on the shelf in the garage).
Get a ro unit.
Put in sump with a dsb and grow macroalgae.
Build a turf mat filter.

ashkan

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3243592
a few things before your "last resort"
most people who are serious about thier tanks service their canisters once a week. they trap nitriates like a magnet.
it is advised to do 10% water change every week or 20% every two weeks.
as mentioned,get your own RO/DI and a TDS meter
And lastly most fish don't need to eat once a day. once every other day or even every 3 days is ok.
These things are all doable before you go all "last resort" on us.
thanks for the advice
but not everyone is an expert aquarist so no need for the sarcasm

I dont think he was being sarcastic what I think he meant is that chemicals should be a last resort and if your at that your last resorting on us dont think he meant teasing by it. I would seriously though- and im no expert either but I do weekly changes, I have a sump and I have a small fuge as a middle chamber of my sump with cheato and grape calurpa- both excellent denitrifiers. The canisters require more maintenance and trap nitrates as stated. Try doing weekly water changes weekly maintenance on the canister filter. Will probably notice a signifigant drop in nitrates. Once you get em to 0 they are easy well much easier to keep at 0. Good luck but try not to use chemicals for a problem solver unless you absolutely have to.
I would also consider switching to a sump. You can use a canister in addition to the sump for your carbon and phos ban so the canister can definately still be utilized best wishes man....Jimmy

ashkan

Thanks Jimmy. I have a door measuring 1.5 foot wide in my stand. Could a fit a good size pre-built sump w/ fuge through that? Thanks man.

The stand is a foot and a half from end to end? or is the stand wider but the access port to slide it in through a foot and a half wide?

btldreef

Your nitrate problem is stemming from your stocklist (we've been chatting about this in PM's) and the fact that you only do water changes every 3 weeks. Step up to weekly water changes, and do 30% for the first two weeks, this should help jump start lowering the nitrate level.
Definitely get a sump, even if it's 20G, get a sump. Look for a place like ***** that runs sales every now and then for $1 per gallon on tanks, you'll be able to save a lot this way and get a sump in the process. I can not stress the importance of a sump.
Also, since we've been chatting and I know what youre CUC is, increase your it. Skunk Cleaner shrimp and Nassarius snails are invaluable to a reef tank with nitrate problems IMO.
What exactly do you feed?
IMO, do not add chemicals to fix problems with nitrates. It will only mask your readings and not actually fix the problem. It's a temporary thing if it helps, but the problem will continue to arise until the source of the issue is found.

ashkan

Originally Posted by JimmyR1Rider
http:///forum/post/3244008
The stand is a foot and a half from end to end? or is the stand wider but the access port to slide it in through a foot and a half wide?
The second one. The stand is very wide but the access port is 1 and a half feet wide.

ashkan

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3244015
Your nitrate problem is stemming from your stocklist (we've been chatting about this in PM's) and the fact that you only do water changes every 3 weeks. Step up to weekly water changes, and do 30% for the first two weeks, this should help jump start lowering the nitrate level.
Definitely get a sump, even if it's 20G, get a sump. Look for a place like ***** that runs sales every now and then for $1 per gallon on tanks, you'll be able to save a lot this way and get a sump in the process. I can not stress the importance of a sump.
Also, since we've been chatting and I know what youre CUC is, increase your it. Skunk Cleaner shrimp and Nassarius snails are invaluable to a reef tank with nitrate problems IMO.
What exactly do you feed?
IMO, do not add chemicals to fix problems with nitrates. It will only mask your readings and not actually fix the problem. It's a temporary thing if it helps, but the problem will continue to arise until the source of the issue is found.
Disregard my PM about the sump. I have been meaning to get those specific shrimp but I am afraid that they will not adjust well to the high level of nitrates.

Well if there is anyway to create an access panel in the side by reinforcing the stand and slide a sump in and then seal it back up(I know is WAY outside the box but is the kinda guy I am between the military and the FD Ive been in the adapt and overcome a situation mode since 1995).
Or you can also build an extension off the side of the stand to house the sump and plumb it with flex pipe for the drain. However you can get a sump going I believe itll make a world of difference and then you can daisy chain the canister for the GFO and carbon.
That and like mentioned earlier feed every other to every 3 days and do it in small bursts so that fish eat it all and none settles and lands on anything. Get a bad ass or if you already have an ok one add to your CUC.
Then I would do heavy water changes as well as more frequent until the nitrates go down to 0 or at least a very acceptable level(as close to 0 as you can get it). After that its just maintaining them, and servicing that canister when you should. Good luck, am sure I forgot a BUNCH of stuff that others can say as well but thats what came to me off the top of my pointy head lol.