Any Idea's on how to build canopy for 46 gallon bowfront

misty7850

My husband bought me a 46 gallon bowfront for my b-day. Now we want to build hood (canopy) for it, so we can put custom lighting in it for reef aquarium, (upgrading from 30gallon). Has anyone built hood for bowfront ?, Any Ideas ? any suggestion would be appreciated.

aquaworld75

I know this old but I just finished building a custom canopy for my 52 corner tank (more of a curve in front) and I also am building one for my 46 bowfront....
If you see this post, I will put up pictures.
If not I am going to be putting up an entire walk through in the next few weeks in the DIY section to complement my stand rebuild.

phixer

No problem, one process of bowing the front panel is called kerfing. The way Ive done it is to make a series of evenly spaced perpendicular cuts with a table saw along the back side of the board. Certain species of wood are more flexible and yield to bowing much easier. Most stands and canopies are made of Oak, Oak isnt one of my favorites to bend. Anyhow after you make the the cuts, spray the wood with water to soften it up and allow the fibers to bend without splintering, (soaking the boards in a tub will also work). After the wood is saturated I place it on edge on top of a workbench. By keeping the wood damp you lessen the possibility of splintering.
The bench I use has holes in the top of it for pegs (dogs) to be inserted. I bend the wood around the pegs and let it set for about a week, I spray it with water each day but dont spray it for 24 hrs before removing it from the jig. After about a week the board will have taken the shape of the jig. Regarding the face of the stand, depending on the size of the tank, I usually shape the doors the same way. The doors swing open from the front the same way flat cabinet doors do except they are convex.

aquaworld75

The easiest way I found is to buy a 1x10 board about 6 ft long and trace the front of the tank 3 times 3/4 inch apart. This will create 2 exact pieces which you then cut out with a jig saw. Then nail and glue one to the top of the camopy and bottom. Then bend 1/4 subfloor plywood on the front glue, nail and clamp. Then paint.

misty7850

Hi, thanks for the info.. We actually ended up designing our own canopy... we have since then had to sell all our aquariums and supplies, cause We had to move to NY and live with my dad in his trailer, cause he can no longer live alone.. I don't get online that much, we don't have internet down there yet..
Thanks again..