Any marine biologist on this forum?

I have to do some type of career project for a certain class in school, and I was curious if I could ask someone a few questions (acutally more than a few, around 30~). They would be simple of course, but it's really important. The easiest way to do it would probably over e-mail, phone (I'm in California), or some type of instant messaging program. If theres anybody there that can answer a few questions about marine biology, I would really appreciate it if you could reply back. Thanks a lot.

ophiura

How soon does it need to be done, and do you mean currently employed as a marine biologist? :D Because that is the tough part, LOL. Lots of people with the degrees and schoolin' but not many with the job. :D Anyway, I might be able to help if it can wait until I can get back into the office on Tuesday....sketchy access at home and a few plans for the weekend :cheer:
ophiuroid(nospam)@att.net
Of course remove the nospam part :D

Needs to be done by Monday =/, bad timing I guess. It's just a few questions that someone with "expirence" as one woudl be able to answer. I could careless if you evne made up the answer or not, as long as it's resonably possible/true. Let me throw some examples for you to answer.
What, in your opinion, are the dis/advantages of being a Marine Biologist?
If you could do it all over again, would you have chosen this field? Why?
What do you find the most satisfying part of this field?
What do marine biologists make as a salary?
What do I need to do to become a marine biologist? (schooling, courses, etc.)
How demanding and stressful is this field of work?
What happens during a day of a marine biologist's life?
Of course, there is a bunch more (probably a little less specific) that would require just require a one to two sentence answer. It could be all BS for all I care, as long as it looks legit as if a real marine biologist/ someone in that type of field answered it, hehe. Care to answer some questions ophiura? :cheer:

ophiura

Let me answer some of these, tho I can't ponder them too long....but hope it helps a bit:
Disadvantage: poor job market. There are many people with the training and degrees, and very few jobs available for them.
Advantages: Well, I guess the simple answer is doing what you love and being where you love....by the ocean.
I'm a marine taxonomist, which means I describe and study marine animals. And there is a never ending supply. While the plants and animals on land have been studied and extensively recorded, perhaps only the insects remain a huge source of new diversity. There are many insects left to find! But the earth - and more specifically air -is a harsh environment. We find organisms relatively high up on mountains, and in the tops of the tallest trees...but the air around us is pretty sterile when compared to the water. In the ocean, you find animals from several feet under the mud on the bottom, all the way up to several feet above the surface, and each drop is packed
full of life, much of it unknown to science...and much of it challenging scientific ideas. So it is like a kid in a candy store scenario. Always something new to find. It is a lifelong challenge, and it is inspiring to me.
In general, you need a solid background in biology. IMO, this means a bachelors degree in biology/ecology or similar and some courses in marine science. I would specialize in the field in graduate school. But that is MO. Many will get the undergraduate degree in marine biology. Several field courses are suggested as well, to learn "hands on" how various experiments and tools are used. Math and other scientific fields like chemistry and physics as well as, of course, oceanography are also necessary.
Finding a job can be very stressful. Lots of competition for limited opportunities...and you will not likely ever be rich. You may be required to do a lot of field work, which may mean getting very dirty, uncomfortable or being away for extended periods at field stations or on research ships. This requires a great deal of sacrifice on the part of family. In addition, should you become a professor and researcher at a university, you will be expected to teach, research, write papers, and get grants/funding. This is a 24/7 job, and it requires a passion
for the subject to get it done.

This one is tough, depends on lots of factors..eg if you are a professor versus a research biologist. You may be in an office, or on a ship, or in the field.

Can't answer :D but probably not a lot. I would probably say somewhere in the $25,000 up to a professor salary or high ranking government biologist, depending on your degree.

Even though I do not even have a job in this field, I would do it over. Maybe with some changes, but I would do it. I loved the work. I loved learning about the ocean and its inhabitants and being able to make a contribution to the scientific community. The environments I was interested in (primarily the deep sea) is absolutely fascinating and there is so little known about it. I loved getting thigh high in mud in mud flats, or bitten by skeeters by hypersaline lakes. The diversity of the marine world is phenomenal.
Try posting some others...I may see them before I leave today....

Oh wow those are certainly detailed to a great depth, but I just sent a whole list of 40+ to your email. I totally forgot to say YGM
. SOrry about that. You really don't have to go to such depth. Answers with one to three sentences is fine..
EDIT; should I still post some?

ophiura

I'll try and answer the one's you sent, though those that actually pertain to being an employed marine biologist are not really things I can answer...not anymore :D

clarkiiboi

I am sure I read a post about this awhile back, try a search for marine biologist or biology. When I read this I know I was only reading in this forum. I believe the thread just lead to this issue, it wasn't a direct question. Cant help much more than that.

Thanks for the help Clarkiiboi but I'm not looking for someone to answer one question, I'm looking for someone that can answer multiple questions. It's suppose to be a two page interview with someone in the career you chose, and marine biology is it, so I decided to ask here and on -- about it. Ophirua has helped me out, but I sorta still need to make it longer :mad: stupid class. Hehe, well thanks again ophiura, YGM again :rolleyes:

msd2

You have to have it by monday, if not I can contact my friend, she is probably willing to help, unless its obsurdly long. And it would have to be via email since she is in Hawaii. Every once in awhile I envy her job (swims with the dolphins).

Thanks MSD2 for the offer, but I've gotten enough information from a few sources, including the great ophiura from this site =). Thanks again everybody.

spanky

Originally Posted by XxViEtXjUStiNxX
It could be all BS for all I care, as long as it looks legit as if a real marine biologist/ someone in that type of field answered it, hehe. Care to answer some questions ophiura? :cheer:
Well, when I was in school, and I finished graduate school about 17 years ago, LOTs of prople wanted to become marine biologists of the "flipper" variety - meaning that they wanted to work with "cool" animals, preferably dolphins, whales, seals, sharks etc. (Few wanted to work with serpulid tube worms, for example.) Most of these folks were interested in the life of a biologist as it was always portrayed on TV. You know, lots of adventure, getting paid to get a tan, and diving on tropical reefs with Jaques Cousteau...
Those folks had to pay for graduate school, and very few of them are employed doing anything even remotely remunerative or similar to what they imagined when they were in school.
What's it take? Good grades, good GRE scores, some personality, lots of patience, and plenty of time. It's four years to a B.S. degree in Biology or Chemistry, and at least four more to earn a PhD - and that is the basic minimum education level if you wish to make a career in science. (You can bail out with a Master's degree if you only wish to be a technician, or teach at the high-school/junior college level.) The life of a grad student is, generally, fun. There isn't much money, but it's a pretty rich, good quality of life. The nature of the work depends on the lab in which you work.
Lots of marine biologists work almost entirely in the lab - working on things like hemoglobin binding efficiency or something similarly narrow in focus. For folks like that, the average day is quite similar to any other office job, except they're going to the lab, not the office. I worked in a lab for about a year, and I found it lonely and tedius. I was ready to move on. (The big project was very interesting, but the piece by piece data collection was painfully slow, boring, and mechanical.)
Grad students earn diddly. When I was in school I got about $700 per month - but the tuition is FREE :happy: . Post-docs earn diddly too, but it's the first thing that seems like a real job. If you want to do research and teach, and you've done great independent research published in a good journal, you might just land a job as a professor - making somewhere between $60K to 150K plus, usually, great benefits and LOTS of time off. If your field of study is of interest to a pharmaceutical manufacturer, you might be able to double those salaries - but that depends on how unusual, how good, and how "necessary" your research was.
On the stress front: That's a pretty subjective thing. The Safeway cashier thinks she's got a stressful job. In fact, I know very, very few people who don't think they have a stressful life. I guess if the upper limits are defined by Neuro-surgeons, District Attorneys who prosecute capital murder cases, combat fighters and pilots, marine biologists probably score pretty low on the stress-o-meter.
Least satisfying: #1) You know how ecosystems work and what needs to be done to protect them, but the dum-dums making policy have other plans, #2) You don't earn enough money 3#) The job is characterized by LONG periods of boredom punctuated by short periods of excitement.
Most satisfying: #1) Working on things that can better the world, #2) Working with great people with similar concerns and interests, #3) Low stress, relaxed attire, less formal lifestyle #4) There is little controversy...people don't "hate" biologists. You can't say that about all the above-listed, high-stress professions: With lots of recognized responsibility comes lots of grumpy people who resent the authority/responsibility/power. Biologists have none of the above - at least in the popular view - so they have few automatic grumps out to get them

You can take all of this with several POUNDS of salt, as I am a biologist who chose another path while in grad school. (I bailed in the doctoral program with an MS in Quantitative Genetics, a sub-field in Population Biology/Ecology; I also taught Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry to pre-med students...yuck :) )
It was a positive experience, like most working experiences in life, but I do not think I would do it again. Maybe somebody who stuck with it might feel differently. They'd also be a more competent source ...but at leat you have SOMETHING to write...