Any one have a pic of Baby Mantis?

rykna

I was doing some cleaning today when I scoped up a little green-blue shrimp. It looks like it has the front clubs, but it is hard to tell. It is a little over 1/4 inch long. I was wondering if any one had a pic of a baby mantis because our camera upload is not working.
~Rykna

cranberry

A baby mantis looks exactly like the adult, just in smaller form. This won't really help ya out, because you can't see him that well in these pics but here was my guy.

They really are Mini Me's of the adults.
Here's another one I had that was SO small.If you know the size of Hikari mysis, the red arrow is the mysis and the yellow area is my guy peeking out.

rykna

Awesome! So if it is a baby mantis, how long until it becomes a lethal glass shattering beast?

cranberry

What size tank? I wouldn't put them in a thin plate glass tank, like a 10 hass. But any thicker/larger tank will be fine.

rykna

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3051189
What size tank? I wouldn't put them in a thin plate glass tank, like a 10 hass. But any thicker/larger tank will be fine.
Right now my 90g display tank is under quarantine due to myco bacterium. I just moved all my coral from a glass 5.5g to a glass 10g until the 90g is safe. I found the little guy during the move tonight. The 90g is tempered glass. All I have is glass. I have it sitting in a plastic dish right now, what temps does the mantis need? If it can tolerate room temp(70*) I can keep it in a 1 gallon plastic container until I can make a better identification.

teresaq

but it cant go in the 90 with horses.

If its that small, put it in the 5 gal for now. I dont think it would break it if its that tiny.
T

rykna

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3051265
but it cant go in the 90 with horses.

If its that small, put it in the 5 gal for now. I dont think it would break it if its that tiny.
T

Ok, well then I will keep it the bare bottom 10g for now.
Maybe by the time it is big enough to break the 10g I can tell what it is!

salt210

rykna
what is this myco bacterium that you are reffering to? I looked it up but only saw links reffering to tuberculosis(sp?)

cranberry

No, don't worry about him now. I wouldn't even worry about most then they are full grown either....but there are a few I wouldn't trust.
And if someone were to plan for a mantis in a glass tank, I would just suggest acrylic in the bottom to withstand repetitious hitting.
Who has myco? Probably the most I have ever learned about disease was dealing with 2 seahorses infected with myco.

cranberry

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3051328
rykna
what is this myco bacterium that you are reffering to? I looked it up but only saw links reffering to tuberculosis(sp?)
Look up Mycobacterium Marinum. It a nasty fish bacteria as well.

rykna

Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/post/3051387
Aw man! My home growns had it. How did you come to that final diagnosis. What is your plan?
Here's the link to the Long version:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/357808/when-bacterium-attack
Short version:
Miraculously I have found a fish vet here in the twin cites! The vet took a small sample of the dorsal fin from the male. Under a microscope she was able to identify all the parasites, including the mycobacterium.
The online site I purchased the seahorses from told me that they were captive bred from a seahorse farm in Florida. However, Teresa gave me the name of her trusted private breeder site. They informed me that most seahorses are net collected from coastal areas around Vietnam and then sent on a long journey until they reach our pet stores here in the US. By the time we receive these supposedly "tank raised" seahorses they are infested with parasites and on deaths door.

After more investigation~I contacted several people regarding the Mycobaterium in my tank. First, Dr. Brian Aukes, a Fish Pharmceutical, who has specialized in Fish Disease for the past 41 years. Do to the fact that the sick horses were only in the DT for 24 hours, His diagnosis was leaving the DT fallow 3-4 months to starve the mycobacterium. This should should return the tank to normal levels. As for the corals Dr. Aukes said to keep them in the QT during the 3-4 months and do frequent water changes to avoid the build up of food and waste. I also spoke with Dan and Abby about the prognosis Dr. Aukes had given me. Dan supported Dr. Aukes prognosis.
So this is my current plan:
3-4 months no food in DT
3-4 all corals in QT
Then set up the tank and try again.
So far I have all the corals settle into a 10g, and the 90g is sitting cold and empty with just the sand. I boiled all LR with no coral for at least 45 minutes. They are currently in storage. I am also going through all my equipment, filters, sponges, nets, ect., and deciding what to throw out and what I can sterilize.
~Rykna

rykna

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3051328
rykna
Basically it is Fish Tuberculosis. Like most bacteria, Fish TB can be found in a multitude of places ~Public Swimming Pools, lakes, the ocean, any body of water or surface that supports the bacteria. Because of inoculation the human immune system we don't worry to much about TB, even our tanks have a small amount of this mycobacterium, but it rarely causes problems for most of the fish we keep in our tanks because their immune systems are much better than seahorses.

cranberry

Bummer. Thanks for filling me in. I didn't know what mine had until I finally put them down and had a necropsy done.
I just went a looked at my old myco thread... I treated over the span of 4 months... what a long thread.