Any one know what fish this is?

skipperdz

Caught this yesterday out in my canal. (sw florida...everglades)
1. what is it? seems like some kind of goby
2. what does it eat?
3. if it does not take to eating i will set it free, will not starve to death

didnt take pellets, flake or mysis. gonna run to the store and get some brine when the lfs opens.
what do you all think?

you caught that in your canal?and put it in your saltwater tank? looks like a fresh water fish! everglades = fresh water

myreef05

Some type of gobi?????? Thing to remember now is that YOU CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. You will have to kill it if not wanted. There is a risk of it passing on a bacteria from your setup not known in the wild that can be devestating.

crazyaqua

is the rest of your tank locally caught things because they can cause havoc among your store bought buddies.

sign guy

dude you put a fish in your tank from a canal?!?! you dont know what it eats what its habits are what diseses it has. you better hope it dosn't kill every thing in your tank

skipperdz

well let me start by saying this is something my dad did for their 12g nano. im posting so i can figure out what it is for them. i didnt want him to do it either but hey thats what parents are for..not listening to children that know something about the hobby.

second the canals i live on are in port of the islands (sw florida) which lead to the gulf, and the water is brackish not fresh...its salinity is actually 1.11 higher than normal for brackish because they county is regulating the fresh water allowed into the canal system because they are trying to make it more like the gulf water. actually saw a 5ft shark in the canal the other day catchin fish...but thats a different story
whats currently in their tank...2 emerald crabs, 2 turbos, lr, ls and 1 nassarous snail, and a few bristle worms. for some reason she was having trouble keeping fish so he rigged a fish catcher out of a few bottles and whalla here u have it.
well its been 3 days and after trail and error it eats the frozen mysis shrimp, and very readily i must say.
it sits on the lr all day, and i agree its some kind of goby/blenny from the way it just hops around on the rock and doesnt really swim like non gobies/blennies
and please no more flamming
im just posting so i can explain what it is for my parents

oh and im not gonna kill a fish just because my parents made a mistake with thier tank...if you want to flame someone flame on the wannabe fish killer

thanks for the responses

ophiura

It would be far worse to release it than to kill it, please understand. Releasing fish that have been in a tank with things from another ocean is a huge risk...and it gives hobbyists a very very bad name. It is irresponsible. So yes, you are a better hobbyist to keep or kill it, than to ever release it. This has nothing to do with flaming, this is responsibility. Please be a responsible hobbyist and never release it.

skipperdz

well its eating and doing fine so they dont plan on letting it go or kill it. and they know the reprocutions (spelling?) they just arent going to add another fish. especially since they dont know what kind this one is.
yea yea not flaming got it.
found something online...closest one in can find to what this one looks like
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebI...obioidfaqs.htm
here it is but only for a while im sure.

bret61081

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
is the rest of your tank locally caught things because they can cause havoc among your store bought buddies.
Not to be rude, but where do you think the fish come from??!! They all come from the ocean(except for about 4-5% which is captive breed)!! One of the things about living in FL is that we are lucky enough to be able to have it right in our own back yard. There is a local diver who has one of the few FL collecting licenses left and I get things from him all the time, so there is no harm in putting it in your tank. The only problem I see is it coming from the low salinity and bringing it up to where our tanks are. I know people who have collected their own sea horses here and have had them for years but they have to acclimate them slowly to the higher salinity since they are usually in canals.
As for releasing things back in to the ocean, thats a different story, but he never mentioned doing that. Some people are just jumping to conclusions! As for collecting here in FL, there are lots of cool things you can go out there and find...cleaner shrimp, pepermint shrimp, peteresons shrimp, cleaner gobys, pearly jaws, cherub angels, royal grammas, quuen angels, ect all legal with a salt water fishing license! So enjoy the ocean as long as we have it in our own backyard!!

groupergenius

Hey Skipper, I have kept those gobies before. The ones I had were not aggresive at all. It's those big brown blennies that get real aggresive.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Bret61081
Not to be rude, but where do you think the fish come from??!! They all come from the ocean(except for about 4-5% which is captive breed)

thats what I always say. Its not like your store bought fish go thru some special quarantine that make them any less risky and we are the same people who take rock straight from the ocean both pacific and carribean and stick it in our tanks. I would think fish are more likely to wreck havoc being housed and transported with who knows what and for how long than something caught straight out the ocean. there may be a problem releasing them but not keeping and mixing them with fish from other areas. look how many people have royal gramma's or bassets from the carribean and 5 other fish from the pacific. almost everybody has atlantic clean up crew members and pacific fish. I live and have a few close friends who attended and now work at william and mary's virigia institute of marine science. local fish mixed with bought fish is an everyday occurence in many of their tanks. they collect most of thier fish from brackish water as well. The local blenny's look just like the store bought ones except duller color and meaner. they tolerate full saltwater fine.

mx#28

This fish is a Crested Goby - Lophogobius cyprinoides.
It is known to reside in shallow waters throughout tidal creeks and inlets, etc.

zues3026

I have the exact same one I bought with a Pistol shrimp, I was told it is a sand perch which is in the goby family. He is awesome. Shares the hole with the pistol shrimp and eats really well. If you don't want him send him to me I will take him.