Any one seem to have a extinction of pods?

zanemoseley

I've got a 7 month old 75, When I got my LR there was a decent amount of pods on the rock. Over the past couple months my pod population had declined to almost nothing. I now rarely see a pod. I'm thinking it may be because I don't overfeed but I think I feed enough to feed them some. I have a clown, firefish, clown goby, hermits, turbos, and a fire shrimp.

slcfishead

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I had pods living all
over the glass and rock about two months in.
Now I only see them scattered here and there.
Maybe it has something to do with the microalgae
population blooming then dieing back. :thinking:

K

kistheeze

you want pods to thrive you have to feed them. Phytoplankton, cyclopeeze, golden pearls. These are all good choices.

angelofish

Mine are mia too. I thought my 6 line was the culprit.I was ready to get rid of him but now Im not so sure.:thinking:

russianspy

I have never seena copopod in my life :eek: I know scary!!
But my Dragnet is still living well so i belive they still exsist

fishfreek

Now that you mention it, my pod populaton has REALLY dwindled. I used to see tons of pods at night after lights out & some during the day. I've had a six line wrasse for about two years that may be the culpret, but i'm not sure. I feed phyto about twice a week, so i'm not even sure lack of food is the problem.
Maybe Bang or kip will chime in and solve this mystery. :eek:

firedad720

my pods also have dropped from being all over my tank, to not seeing any at all. i think it may be my royal gramma(sp). i've heard they will eat pods.

promisetbg

Don't feel bad..I have a sixline,coris wrasse,2 mandarins and a scooter...if I have any pods..they are terrified:eek:

euphoria

I used to have a lot of pods, too, but right now I can't even see one. They have all disappeared. Even late at night w/ flashlight on there's none around.
I used to think my sandsifter ate them, but LFS told me that sandsifter star is too slow to catch and eat the pods.
Then I started thinking maybe my UV sterilizer killed them, BUT I had been using the UV for a few months and still had the pods around, so I doubt the UV killed them.
Can it be that there's a cycle that they follow?
I really don't care for pods, and the only reason that I want them, a LOT of them, is so I can buy a mandarin and keep it successfully.
Can a mandarin survive on regular fish food w/out any pods in the tank?

euphoria

Originally posted by Angelofish
Im thinking of making a podpile on the side of the tank.I wonder if that would help?:notsure:

What's a podpile?
Two days ago I almost wanted to take the sandsifter back and turn the UV off and give it a month and see if pods come back, but I don't want to risk turning the UV off and getting certain parasites and algae back in the tank.
I wonder if I bring another tank's water that has pods in it into my tank, if they'll multiply or will they die off?

T

thomas712

Pods are mostly scavengers of plant and animal debris but some are filter feeders. You have to ask yourself just like any other creature in your tank, do you have the proper enviroment for them? Do they have enough to eat? Is there any protection from preditors?
Many of us know that they love to inhabit macro algae, thus a refugium/with macro's is a great idea.
In many of our tanks filter floss of any kind will screen them out. Ozone and UV sterilizers can kill them. Lack of food will make the populations dwindle. Preditors will eat them. Seeking a balance is hard sometimes. Some people will set up a 10 gallon pod tank just to raise them, because there main tanks can not support enough to cope with the supply and demand.

euphoria

I don't know if this is a good idea or something stupid, but what if I set up a small 10 gallon tank just to have pods grow in it, and every few days just dump some of it over to the big tank for a mandarin to eat?

T

thomas712

Originally posted by EUPHORIA
I don't know if this is a good idea or something stupid, but what if I set up a small 10 gallon tank just to have pods grow in it, and every few days just dump some of it over to the big tank for a mandarin to eat?

A great idea that has been done many times before