Any other ideas...?

rbaby

Alright...my lighting schedule went from 12 hours a day to 8...changed my water source to ones that my friend reliably uses...increased the flow in my tank and even stuck in phosban...and yet look at my hairy algae still.
I use RO/DI water...my saltwater comes in a box from ***** (Real Ocean water--my friend uses for his 30g and he has NO phosphates/silicates)...I'm starting to run out of ideas.

emoezekiel

What clean up crew do you have? A couple of Turbos and Margarita snail should solve your problem. I heard that Lawnmover blennies love hair algea. Otherwise keep up the weekly water change, don't over feed.

rbaby

I only feed twice a week, and never any floaties in my tank. As far as a clean up crew...I would rather eliminate the algae than get a clean up crew as a temporary fix.
I do a weekly water change of 2 gallons (this is a 12g tank) and lawnmower blenny would be too much of an additional bioload for my tank I'm afraid. Thank you for advice though.

gfk

emerald crab?
i mean if you have considered all problems, it might just be the small tank is causing algae...

J

jm38092

First of all, i think thats one of the coolest looking nano's i've seen in a while, i really like your rock structure. With my experience i think you could get rid of most of that algea in a tank that size with just one turbo snail. I had a 5 gallon refugium on a tank and i got the bright idea to stick a turbo snail in it to keep the growth down, in order to reduce trimming on my behalf, and it ate everything fairly quickly.

jeremyglen

What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? How old is the tank? How many fish are in the tank?
I've found that coralline algae will suffocate most all other algaes that will grow. Getting rid of hair algae is a process that takes time. Getting the snails to get rid of it it a temporary fix that leads to a permanant fix. It is much easier to get rid of it by changing the inputs when there is little to no algae in the tank. You know you've done it when it doesn't come back. Don't make the mistake I made in putting grape caulerpa in the tank. It got rid of the hair algae, but took over in a matter of a month or two. One of the best ways to help is to make sure and keep you filtration system in top shape. I assume from the pic you have a 12g cube with the filtration built into the back wall? Just make sure and keep all the uneaten food in the back from building up too bad. If there is any kind of sponge or filter floss in the filtration, clean it weekly to keep the nitrates from overwhelming you. Other than that, you really cannot do much with the tank you have, except cleaning crews.

palumbo

I'm not sure it has a lot to do with being a small tank. I have the 24g nano cube(no hair algae), and my boyfriend has a 75g reef which had TONS of hair algae at one point. He tried cutting the lighting down to just a few hours, used R/O water, a phosphate sponge, everything. Then he started getting really nasty cyano bacteria. Again, he tried everything to get rid of BOTH. I picked him up some Chemi-clean from a LFS, and I swear that stuff is a gift from God. It took care of all the cyano bacteria and hair algae.
It's worth a shot to try it out. It won't hurt inverts, and the worst that will happen is it won't fix the problem:nervous:
Nonetheless, it does a wonderful job keeping the tank sparkling clean :)