any sharks good for 70 gal

mile_high

You could get a mantis shrimp. That would be cool and very few people get them on purpose. They are mean fish eating crustations

the___jest

I was into freshwater before my salt tank I raised oscars, shovelnose catfish, and florida gar. Believe me fish eating fish is high maintenance, at least it was for me. Body parts everywhere.

reeftank27

jr stop giving bad advise, a baby banded cat can live in a smaller tank for little while a 70 gallon for a banded cat would be ok for at least 5 to six months if not a little bit longer, my freind has one in a 40 breeder and is doing great, he has had him for a month or so and he hatched him from an egg. he is grown a little but is still fine in there and will be for at least a couple of months. so a baby shark can live in a smaller tank for a little while.

jr2857

why put it in a smaller tank when you will have to upgrade eventually. it saves money to just buy the tank that will suit it for its life

reeftank27

is that the smarter thing? YES, is that the only way? NO, all im saying is that they can live in a smaller tank and will be fine for a while

ams153

his advice isnt wrong its conservative and just an oppinion and not a bad one either.. quit pickin on the kid.. let him give his oppinion its not gonna hurt the fish!

boalgf

Originally Posted by mongaupt
best way to put it thanks, is there any fish eating fish that i can get for this tank
There are several good choices of carnivores for a 70. You could probably get one of the smaller triggers for that size depending on what other fish you have in there. That would have to be one of the only fish though. You could get a small eel, dwarf lion, angler, or scorpion fish to name a few. Some of those you can mix and match with (not the trigger).

dennycrane

Anyway...
If all you want is to see your fish chase around and eat another fish you could go with many variaties of fish. Consider the smaller "grouper" species like Royal Gramma. They will chase and eat an OCCASIONAL feeder guppy. (Feeding a freshwater fish to SW isn't bad if you don't do it in excess and it is considered a treat and not regular diet). Really, most fish will dine on an occasional guppy - Dwarf Lion, maybe.

reeftank27

no it wont hurt the fish but all im saying is his way isnt the only way, he shouldnt say you will have to move it soon as it hatches because that is not TRUE. lets stay with the facts, if the shark hatches in a small tank its easier to get him feeding on his own. Move him once he has started eating and is getting to big for the tank he is in.

sfe

Originally Posted by reeftank27
jr stop giving bad advise, a baby banded cat can live in a smaller tank for little while a 70 gallon for a banded cat would be ok for at least 5 to six months if not a little bit longer, my freind has one in a 40 breeder and is doing great, he has had him for a month or so and he hatched him from an egg. he is grown a little but is still fine in there and will be for at least a couple of months. so a baby shark can live in a smaller tank for a little while.
You're not making any sence buddy. He was actually giving good advice because once that shark starts growing, the shark is going to get stressed out and will immiediately have to be moved to a bigger tank. Where is the pleasure in that?

reeftank27

well if you read jr's right, he is saying that once born in a small tank, you should move it into a bigger tank. Anyway you look at it the shark is getting moved. weather it is sooner or later doesnt really matter and there are alot of people that say starting a small shark in a small is the way to go. Easier to feed.

demosthenes

Additionally, if you give out advice that a person can get a fish while they are small enough to survive in a tank that is smaller than ideal, we end up with a lot of people buying Imperator Angels and the like and keeping them in a 29G or a 55G and then either having to dole out hundreds of dollars to move to a larger tank, having to find a LFS that will take it off of your hands, which is very unlikely, or having a beautiful specimen die painfully as it chokes among its own waste in a home that was never intended to house it in the first place. Please, keep your ego about "facts" and "semantics" in check and just give some sensible advice that contains a white lie or just a conservative lilt, rather than being brutally honest while fooling some newbies into believing they can care for a fish that they really cannot handle. Demo