Any Suggestions? My Floating thermometer Broke while in my Tank!

keonia

I was wondering what was going on with my shrooms, like alot of them are just going down hill. I've done so many water tests but can someone give me direction on this one!
-- is it Mercury in the thermometer? --- Well the bottom of the thermometer broke and it looks like its been broke a while because of the color of the mercury. The thermometer still registered at 80 degree !!!
My shrooms are dead - dying including the nice blue one I just got from FB. !!! my fishies seemed okay??? starfish - red just died -- could it be from the mercury leak?? I wanna call that company and have them pay for the damages!! I wondered why walmart doesnt stock these anymore!! UGHHH..
This happen to anyone else??
Should I do a massive water change? I just did a 20% this am!

wax32

Yikes. That's the reason it is suggested that you never leave a glass thermometer in a tank. If mercury did leak into your tank the rock and sand might be ruined. Maybe someone can chime in that has had this happen to them. I'd honestly mix up as much water as your system uses and be prepared to swap out all the water.

keonia

Thanks Wax! I will prepare to do so, I hope someone can lead me in saving my tank!!
:help: :help:
I so wanna call that company and have them pay for the damages!

T

tizzo

They'd never do it. They'd say if it wasn't borke when you put it in then you did something to cause it. And if they were feeling "generous" they'd cover the cost of the thermometer for you.

keonia

any suggestions on what i should do about the tank Tizz? My toadstool looks aweful, fishes look happy still!! my zoo's doing okay - i guess.
That sucks about the company! I will never buy anything cheap for my tank again!
I learned -- won't make the same mistakes again!
Ps. how's my blue linka doing in your tank?
anyone else?
I don't know exactly when it broke, i just discovered it today. I just put that thermometer in a weeek ago!

rev

mercury won't change colors.Chances are it's a "spirit filled" thermometer.(red).In that case it is probably more toxic than mercury.
If it was mercury,it will sink.I don't think a gravel vac will pick it up,but maybe worth trying.

keonia

the red was on the bottom of the cheapy thermometer. It had those little balls at the end. When I took it out of the tank, the red was dark, not leaking.
My anemone is fine and they are usually the first ones to really get affected right?
well, I know that shrooms are the easiest to manage but I wondered why my shrooms weren't growing - expanding. I'm wondering if this leak affected it.
so, if it is air filled and more toxic -- does anyone know what kind of test I can do to assess my tank's water disposition? my parameters are stable so far.
I had to place rocks all over the area around where it was hanging b/c I don't want my diamond goby to get hurt!

T

tizzo

Sorry I didn't see you posted back. Your linckia is doin' great, I think he's growing.
Anyway short of running carbon and your water changes, I am unsure.

T

thomas712

In the US, it is virtually impossible to buy a mercury thermometer any more. It is not strictly illegal, but liability and disposal issues have made them obselete. Most medical facilities are in the process of replacing their equipment that contains mercury (thermometers, sphygmomanometers, thermostats, etc).
No thermometers used in fishkeeping have used mercury for many years. As far as the alcohol solution, I doubt it would be enough to cause a problem with your fish. You might consider doing a fairly large water change as soon as you can after the break, but I would not get too concerned about it.
Now for the problem. If those beads are lead, and I suspect they are then your water quality will be ruined unless you can get them out, then there is the broken glass that you most likely can not see, don't cut yourself.
Just some thoughts on it.
Thomas

zman1

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Now for the problem. If those beads are lead, and I suspect they are then your water quality will be ruined unless you can get them out, then there is the broken glass that you most likely can not see, don't cut yourself.
Just some thoughts on it.
Thomas
That was my thought after seeing the picture. I am betting the thermometer itself is intact. If you see red like you say still reading 80 and the line of red has no breaks/gaps in it. It's most likely not cracked (the inner tube). But the bottom of the outer enclosure looks like a piece is missing, as Thomas said if it's lead you need to find the beads and get them out. That's going to be the real trick, a magnet isn't going to work. The lead weighted end is there so the thermometer floats upright.

keonia

Thanks everyone for your advice!! The bottom of the thermometer was red, dried and bundled. I will scoop out all the sand in that one area!
I bought a small digital -- is this the way to go? it was cheap 9.99 I think it was for a nano, it had a probe at the end.
anyone can recommend a better one? I think i will return the cheapy and get a quality one.

keonia

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Sorry I didn't see you posted back. Your linckia is doin' great, I think he's growing.
Anyway short of running carbon and your water changes, I am unsure.

but tizz, if she's growing isn't that good? and tizz, i read one of the other posts about someone bitting back at you for mentioning the tank size.. Well, that was probably an ungrateful person/kid??? --- so keep on with your advice!!