Any suggestions welcome

piscian

I'm starting a FOWLR tank. I've never had one before. I have a 90 ga and 10 ga reef tanks, but I've never had a FO tank. I would like to have some fish that I could never keep in a reef. I already have it setup and I'm just waiting for it to cycle. My specs are:
30 gallon high w/ 1/2" thick glass
15lbs of LR(I plan on adding more)
1.5" sandbed
Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated
Thanks

N

n_sarno

IMO.. the fish that you could get only in a FO.. the cool ones.. again IMO are all 2 large for a 30 gallon.. BUT I would say.. dwarf angel.. of some sort... or wrasse that isnt reef safe..
not a whole lot of options for ones that you coulndt have in a reef.. that stay small enough for a 30 gallon..

granny

ONe of my all time favorite fish is the Marine Betta-it is a small grouper, dark with spots and huge tailfin. It kind of hangs in the water-will eat small shrimp etc. but they are not shy and will come to you at feeding time.
A hawkfish would also go well with the Betta and in that size tank.

inception7

IMO there are several options that will allow your fish to live a full life and not be cramped. Look into (1) dwarf angel, no more then that. You can of course go with a clown. A hawkfish would be suitable. Please do not add more then 3-4 small fish which will not obtain a size much larger then 4" each. Never a bad idea to have a Diamond Watchman, a very interesting speciman.

piscian

Are there any small species of butterflies? Or how about a fuzzy dwarf lionfish? And how big do sweetlips get? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm used to only having fish that serve a purpose in a reef system.

arsen_36

i wanted to start a 29g fish only tank too. i was thinking of a dwarf lion, a maroon clown and a hawkfish. would this be too much?

velvetchs

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I was wondering where you bought your fish. I also live in Wilmington, NC and have just strted a tank. Just curious. Thanks.