Any tips for getting rid of fleas?

mytank

When we moved into our house the former owner's dog had fleas and then inturn out 3 indoor only cats got fleas. What I wound up doing was taking all 3 to the vet for the flea med. Then going home cleaning the house literally from top to bottom, washing EVERYTHING and shampooing the carpets and spraying a flea spray on EVERYTHING. This took care of our problem, I did not want to bomb that would be too much work, like cleaning was not enough.

chipmaker

Our 6 dogs and one wolf hyb. has been flea and tick free now for over 7 or more years. have yet to see or find a flea on any of them in all that time. BAck then weused a cattle insecticide called Corral, which is a pouron to kill lice etc on cattle. Vet recomended it, and broke the dosage we needed down per pound of dog. I also spread out three times that year flea killer powder and liquids, so I caught all fleas at various life stages. Things were fine. Eventually the wife started ot use Frontline from the vet that is prepackaged, for ease of use and it appears to work as well.......We do not allow any other dogs on our property, nor do we take our dogs anywhere in town like the ***** and petsmart stores to give them a day out. You too can get your dog flea and tick free it just takes serious dedication and time but its doable.

aeval

My vet recently told me that you can use Dawn dishwashing liquid, not the antibacterial kind, to kill the fleas on the dog so you can get ahead of the growth cycle. You should dust the yard, and the house too. You might also try D.E. from the local feed store. It's safe and can be used on anything... animals, house, yard. It is engineered to get into the hard joints of the fleas, and kill them by stabbing them with its sharp edges, but won't hurt humans, pets, furnishings, or carpets.
Best of luck~!

hot883

As a pest control operator, this is what HAS to happen.
1. pet must be rid of them 1st! dips, advantix etc.
2. pets bedding must be discarded if they sleep in a pet bed or washed thoroughly
3. yard has to be treated, several products out there
4. the entire house, wall to wall has to be treated, under beds, under chairs, under cushions on couches etc. Have to vacumn heavily in all carpeted areas, helps stimulate eggs.
5. chemical used inside MUST contain a "Growth Regulator" keeps the babies from becoming sexual active adults

engine10ff

I've used the dawn method before on our cat, worked real well at killing the adult fleas. We also used advantage afterwards, no probs after that. I think the key is to clean the areas and vacuum alot to rid them of the house as well.
We had a family here in town give their daughter a shampoo with gasoline to get rid of lice.
:scared: I wouldn't really recommend that method tho.

P

phishface

Instead of buying flea shampoo, use dawn dish soap. Works to kill fleas on your dog. But you have to clean/spray bedding, and you should spray your yard. Good luck. :happyfish