Any tips on catching fish?

dzones

I have a sick fishy
:(
Sad thing is I cannot seem to catch the little weasel. He seems to have fin rot from what I can tell and the other fish are really starting to pick on him.
I have been trying to catch him but cannot get him cause of all the rocks and caves he is just being very elusive. I just thought maybe someone might have a tip or trick as to how I can get the lil guy so I can get him in my quarantine tank
any help wqould be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

cope787

on this site they sale a fish trap, give it a try. if you dont want to spend money try starving them for a week then feeding them and when they come out to eat then try catching it. if that doesnt work, then you will have to move your rock.
good luck!

dzones

really a fish trap? cool. I will search for that now. Money is not a problem as far as this goes. I just want to get my fish out so i can treat him.
I would hate to starve them though...seems kinda cruel.
Thanks a lot cope787 I will check this trap out
:)

bdhough

Short of taking out the rocks.... Its hard to catch a fish when he has hiding places. The trick is to get them in the corner with the net then trap them on the front of the glass. But as im sure you know they get around it quite a bit. If you jiggle the net a bit as they get in the corner it confuses them some so that may be all the chance you need.

justinx

I strongly adivse against using a net to catch a fish unless it is a necessity. Their gill flaps get caught easily in the mesh and can tear causing permanent damage.
A much better idea is to use a wide mouthed jar. Place the jar in there the night before and let the fish get used to it being in there. Then slowly guide the fish into the jar. This not only catches the fish, but water as well so you dont have to rush with getting a bag or anything. Doing it this way the fish will never be out of water.
Patience is a key though.
HTH
Justin

dzones

good idea justinx. i did do something similar today where i purchased some very narrow like draining tubs. might just work in the same manner you are referring to.
Thanks everyone.

lionstorm

I agree do NOT use nets unless absolutely necessary, I lost a maroon clownfish this way.
If you use a plastic container make sure it is clear and try feeding your fish and then coralling it into the container, be careful to put your hand over the top, FISH WILL JUMP.
My pufferfish was so docile when I used this method that all I had to do was toss in a cube of brine and sure enough in goes the pufferfish after it, he didn't even inflate! This is the best way to move your fish without hurting them or scaring them.

dzones

GOT EM!
I did manage to lure him in to a clear tub. He had (just as LionStorm had said) gotten so docile that he just needed a net behind him to kinda corral him in the direction of the container. Once he was in i used the lid to not allow his escape.
I already have him in the qt tank.
Sure hope he can make it.
fingers crossed.
Thanks everyone who gave input.
Dave