Any tips on feeding a zebra eel

thehat

I cant get him interested in eating. Have had him about a week. Is this common? I heard morays sometimes fast. How do you get them to break into eating? Getting concerned but not worried yet.

conogre

Zebras and Snowflakes are relatives with a common weakness......neither can resist squid or octopus when it's offered as food.
We live in Florida where every bait shop carries frozen squid and it's almost guaranteed to bring a morey out of the rocks when placed in the tank, often within minutes, day or night, lights on or off.
For those of you who live inland, check with your grocery store fro "kalimari" and I can almost guarantee that you'll have an eel that will not only grow and thrive, but in the case of the two species listed above, also will make community tank fish out of them as both will actually often refuse fish flesh when they have the opportunity.
We have a 36" snowflake morey that will ignore 2" tankmates as long as he gets his squid.
You also get to amaze friends by having neon gobies in the same tank (we've actually had watchman gobies share the morey's burrow)
Be advised though......this does NOT work with the fish eating eels, and in fact, many of the piscavoreous species will regularly cannibalize each other as well.

thehat

Yea I bought that today actually. He hasn't really gone for it. The problem is that zebras are really shy. so he is under my 70 pounds of live rock. They say to get them to eat that you are supposed to nudge them on the nose with the food. Well I can't find his nose. I can see him moving between the cracks but no luck fining his hidden face and nose. Its kinda frustrating.

thehat

well He was out swiming around the rockwork today. He is still hiding but i found his face. I tried feeding him squid and silver sides and poked him in the nose with both and he gave me the finger. I have had him since tuesday. Do you think he is fasting? Maybe he is uncomfartable inthe enviroment and he is getting used to stuff. I don't know I just want himj to eat damn it.

azeritis

Does come out at all when lights are off?
If he does try feeding him at night...
If he doesn't i have no clue

thehat

Yea the lights were off today when i found him coming around the rocks. He wasn't interested in eating though. It amazes me on how many people are on this message board and no one has any answer for me. Other people on here have to have this type of eel and have had some sort of an experience with them. They are not that uncommon.

thehat

Yea I am feeding him with a stick. But there will be no infection to be had if he doesn't take a bite at me or the food.

azeritis

I live in Greece and we sometimes go

[hr]
fishing and catch octapi (I usually join for the ride, not mauch of a

[hr]
fisherman), when we go out on a rocky shore to soften the ocapus, if the there are morays in the area they will definately come out as soon as the smell the octapus. I do not really know how easy it is for you to find fresh octapus in your area, but I would give it a shot.

jennarienne

IMO, he is probably just stressed. i have a 24 in. snowflake, and when i first got him a year ago, he didn't eat for almost a week. now, he will come right to the surface for me to feed him (with a stick, of course!), and he's not picky at all! he eats whatever i feed my fish (formula one, brine cubes...) - he never did eat the silversides the lfs guy gave me. and he doesn't touch my shrimp or small fish either. but he's just been put into a bigger tank, and once again, hasn't eaten for almost a week...anyway, good luck with yours:D

thehat

Yea that was my thought. Like I said before some morays will not eat for up to two weeks. He is probably just gettin used to stuff. I think I will leave him alone for a couple more days and try to feed him on tuesday or wed. When zebra eels are hungry do they come out from hiding and ask for food? I am new to eels so my questions may seem a bit stupid sometimes.

conogre

As he settles in, he'll usually have his head exposed the majority of the time unless he's intimidated by tankmates, but will come out immediately when he's hungry, particularly if he smells squid or octopus.
Moreys are scent feeders, with a sense of smell almost as good as a bloodhound.
For now, you might try dropping a single tentacle in when you go to bed at night and then simply removing it if it's still there in the morning.

thehat

Is it possible that my niger trigger could be given him hell? I don't see him bothering him but he swims around alot and by him. His head has poked out more today then usual. Maybe thats a sign. How long should I give him to not eat before I should start worrying?

fishy88

for the live fiddlers it took a few sec. it took about 2-3 months for it to eat frozen. they like crab. so try to get frozen crab(small enought for it to eat it). do you live by a ocean?

thehat

Yea we have lots of asian markets around here. What do I look for? Like specificly. Where do you get live fiddler crabs? are they fresh?salt water? Anything you give me will help. Thanks for all you have given me so far. You are the first person that has owned one that has helped me.

fishy88

you can get them at a ***** or any freshwater lfs. they are freshwater crabs.they run about $3. you can use any live crab. the fiddlers are cheaper then salt water crabs. it may tank a long time before he gets to frozen but keep trying. let me know if he eats the fiddlers