Any way to offset Bio-Load

I've been seeing a lot about bioload lately. Is there any way to offset bioload, say by increasing the size of your C.U.C.? Thought about getting another fish for my tank, and while I believe he has ample room to swim, I was warned I would be close to my "bio-load".

keri

Adding more CUC would just add more bioload...increasing things like total volume (think: adding a sump with more liverock for better filtration and also adding more water to circulate) and more frequent water changes will help, but you can only do so much. Hope that helps :)
If you want the definition, Wikipedia says: An aquarium term, bio-load
is the nitrogen processing demand placed upon the material, chemical and biological filters by uneaten food, decomposing inhabitants, accumulated organics and waste produced by livestock, foods and plant matter in the aquarium filtration system

sepulatian

You have to let the tank become balanced. I assume that your tank is under 18 months old. If I am wrong then I apologize. You can certainly offset the bio load in your tank but not before the tank is stable. You can add more filtration, a sump, a refugium with lots of growth, there are many ways. In a new tank adding more will throw off the balance that is barely there to begin with. Patience my friend.

reefkprz

increase denitrification processing as well as phosphate absorbtion, boost oxygen levels. but it wont increase the rate of the nitrogen cycle (breaking down of ammonia to nitrate) you need ample aerobic bacteria for that. aka more live rock, etc.