anybody been to Tybee Island?

lovethesea

We are heading to Atlanta soon and I wanted to head to the coast for a few days. Looking at Tybee Island....anyone been there? Like or dislike?

lovethesea

:hilarious
believe me........I would if I could. I saved some of your links to show my cousin who is a travel agent...they love to go to places like that. Have you been to Dominica (I think thats it)
They LOVED it.

kittykitty

nope. I've been to almost every state in the US, including hawaii, excluding alaska, and i've been to canada (when i was like 3). so this will be the first time that i've been out of the country.

lovethesea

its right outside Savannah. I am a light house fanatic and they have a few around there. Don't have time to head to St. Simons or Jekyll Island. I wish we did.

watergal

I love light houses as well. I will have to post a pic of Newpoint Comfort Light House. We take our boat to the island every summer - its accessible by boat only. I love it there!

watergal

My family room is very nautical - lots of pics of lighthouses. We have a beach house in Corolla, NC & always take our guests to the Currituck Lighthouse. I have some great pics of the wild horses by the lighthouse. Have you been to any in Fl.?

harlequin

I live here, in fact i just got back from there a few minutes ago, was looking for hermits for my tank. Tide was super high though so i did not find any. Even though i like the beach because of its conveniance and I live here there are definately better beaches in the area. Try

[hr]
Head SC if you want a nice beach in a built up ritzy area or Hunting Island State Park in SC if you want a more natural and pretty beach. Better yet if you really want a nice beach rent a boat and go to some of the barrier islands here in GA like Wassaw and Ossabaw. Thats what I prefer doing, end up being the only person on a ten mile stretch of beach. Just be sure to know what the tides are doing or you might have the only boat 50 feet from the waters edge for 7 hours lol (been there done that). Feel free to email me on info about the area since i live here in Savannah. Redcorsair14@aol.com.

lovethesea

thanks for the info. We don't have too much time, so thats why we looked at Tybee. We actually go to

[hr]
Head around xmas. A friend of ours has a condo on the beach (I want to say that some day :yes: ) and my Aunt lives in Bluffton/Sun City area. We like the

[hr]
Head area, but not in the summer. Too crowded and tough to get around. Its perfect right around xmas. We spent this past New Years Eve on the beach.
Now come to find out there is some HUGE G8 summitt and financial people from all over the world are coming into the Savannah/Tybee etc area. The hotels have tripled their prices.
I wish we had more time to head towards the St. Simons/Jekyll Island area, but don't this time. Maybe next summer after our summer visit to my Dads.
Anyway, any other ideas once we leave the Atlanta area?
Watergal....my finished basement is dedicated to beach/lighthouse etc. I have been stuck on lighthouses since I was a kid. Used to spend my summers in Grand Haven Michigan and there is a cute little one right out our door.
Been to several in MI, and only a few in FLA. Several in SC and North Car. Whats the Corolla area and beaches like?

harlequin

Didnt even think about that, and i have to work it, DOH! Tons of smelly hippies and no-good media vultures running around the city starting later in the month protesting the G8 will make this a very crowded place. Trust me, the city is not very happy about them, except the hotels. As far as crowds go though Tybee would be just as packed as HH if not more mostly from local people and college students getting away from the smell and incessant chanting of the hippies. Bad month to come see the beautiful city of Sav and Tybee:(.

watergal

lovethesea- Corolla is beautiful - however I feel that they have overbuilt in that area. I go alot in the spring and fall. We rent the house in the summer - good money and it pays for the upkeep. The beaches are gorgeous - I dont much care for the Nags Head area. Hatteras is very beautiful as well - nice beaches. There is an area past Corolla called Carova. The only way you can get to the Cottages is by beach - must have a 4x4. We love to go driving back in there - you see alot of the wild horses. They try to keep the horse contained to that area, but we have had the horses near us - literally - during the spring. By the way - young male horses can be aggressive - long story.