anybody built a glass tank? Talk to me

krazekajin

I have the opportunity to buy the glass to build a 140 cube tank. This would be around three feet square and 2 feet high. The glass is all starfire glass. The glass has already been cut to length and the top is ground so no sharp edges. Glass is 1/2 thick.
All for $50.00.
Is this a good deal? I have plenty of hands on experience with other builds, just no glass tank building skills. what is required. Share your expereinces in building your own tank.

krazekajin

Haven't got that far. That is why I am asking questions. Is $50.00 a good deal first off and where do I go from there?

oahogset

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
Haven't got that far. That is why I am asking questions. Is $50.00 a good deal first off and where do I go from there?
That seems like a great deal for that thick glass! I say go for it if you are determined to build your own tank.

I haven't built my own tank yet, but I will sometime in the future. There are lots of sites out there that explains different ways of doing it. Here are a few things to think about
:
- Make sure you use silicone without mildew inhibitors so you don't kill the tank-inhabitants. GE Silicone I should be safe. I have used it to build small structures of rocks for my freshwater tank without killing off my fish.
- It's a good idea to make some kind of brace or molding around the base of the tank. It can even be something that is fastened to the stand, as long as the tank fits snugly inside. This will reinforce the bottom seams.
- One way of bracing the top of the tank, is to add strips of glass or some kind of plastic (I'm planning on using strips of reinforced fiberglass angle since we make those where I work
) along the sides. Then attach strips, on top of those along the sides, across the tank from one side to the other. (Check the link below for more detailed info on this.)
- After you're done, check the tank for leaks in a place where water on the floor won't be a problem.

Here's a link you might want to check out: http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html

acrylic51

For sealant purposes, I wouldn't even use GE silicone.....I'd contact a glass tank builder someone like Glass Cages and purchase silicone specifically for tank builds.....that way there isn't any issues with using the wrong stuff.

acrylic51

Sorry for the other post, but you might also want to try contacting Aquarium Obsessed.....They do top notch glass tank builds, and they might give you some tips as well. The price of $50.00 for the Starphire glass is an insane deal though!!!!!!! I'd go for it....

krazekajin

Well, I am going to go for the glass and then try to figure out from there. I will try to get intouch with aquarium obsessed.