Anybody burn wood for winter?

T

thomas712

I've been interested in wood burning inserts to put in my fireplace to make it into something that I could actually heat my house with in the winter, instead of just an ornamental fire where the heat is wasted and sucks the heat from the house up the chimmny.
Anybody got one or a wood burning stove/insert? Any thoughts or suggestions? Experience? Do's-Don'ts?
Thomas

lovethesea

my Dad used to have a blower on his. Used to almost run us out of the room. It seemed to overheat the room of origin but did OK on the other rooms. That was awhile ago though. :)

nikkoli110

In my house (I live with my parents) We have two wood burning stoves. One upstairs we dont use, because there is a crack in it somewhere up in the chimney, so every time we use it smoke fills the house. But we do have one downstairs that we use all the time. Both used to be fireplaces, but when we moved in they were woodburning stoves. I love them, they do create a lot of heat, and are easy to use. Alot of them now look very nice, and work great. We use those little log firestarters to start it that you buy anywhere, the grocery store or whatever for like a buck. We lay that down inside on one of those log holder things, then we light some newspaper, and hold it up inside so that it gets warmed up. (i guess you kind of have to start to warm it up, so that it starts a vaccum or something and all the smoke goes up instead of inside the house, but that just may be becasue we are downstairs and its really tall) And then we go and lite the little firestarter, close the door for a minute, and then lay down one or two logs on it, and it usually just goes fine for quite a while! They do create a lot of heat, and they are really nice to sit and watch. We can usually turn off our heat downstairs when its going, and the room is huge, its a whole downstairs of an oversided raised ranch, so it does create a lot of heat. There are alot of things that you can buy for both woodstoves and fireplaces, that direct the heat from the back to the front, and fans and stuff. A good place to get that stuff is Plow and Hearth. They have a website of the same name, check there to see if any of those things can help you out! Hope this helps!

dave flood

I have used a woodstove for many years now. I cut down my own oak trees off of my property, most trees that are old or have storm dammage. I only burn oak cause we have lots of it & some of the other woods are not good for wood stoves. I want to get wood furnice for outside cause its safer & insurance companys like it better.I would just get a wood stove if I were you. woodstoves are so much more efficent than a fireplace. A woodstove can heat most of your house, a fireplace usually heats 1 room & the rest of the house is cold.

tangman99

I've never had a wood stove, but my cousin did when we were growing up. You could not walk near that thing it was so hot!
I have a propane fireplace in my home. When it gets cold, it is nice to just hit a button and watch it come to life. It puts out pretty good heat without a blower, but is just for the room.

squidd

25 years ago, up until 8 years ago I heated my "log cabin in the woods" exclusively with wood (first three years we also "cooked on wood")...
Then I bought a high efficiency gas furnace and backed off the wood...Last couple years we've been burning more in the freestanding unit again to "supplement" the gas furnace...
Wood burners have come a long way from then till now...With the catalitic "afterburners" and regulated air supplies, you get a LOT more regulated (even) heat for the ammount of wood consumed...
I run a "free standing" fireplace similar to a "franklin stove" but the glass door inserts are similar...
I've also burned most every type of tree growing in the area and there is a difference in BTU available from different species...Something to concider if you'll be cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling, restacking, hauling again, etc...etc...etc...

iloveclowns

i had a wood stove for awhile..... they're really annoying. your house is always smoky, and if you have white walls, they smoke turns them a grayish color. i didnt love it, but it was always very warm :)

wrassecal

If you are talking about an existing fireplace they make "inserts" for them and venting systems ranging from a couple vents above the fireplace to vents plugged into the heating ductwork. My house was built with a fireplace that has an insert connected to the ductwork. It is much more controllable than a "woodburner". I use mine practically all the time in the winter. If you want a room cooler, then you just adjust the regular vent. I like the bedroom cold so I can snuggle into the cover so I just shut the vents in that room. the only problem is I hate to get out of bed in the morning on cold days.

T

thomas712

Here is what we have been dealing with for years. Regular old fireplace that sucks up heat.
Now I began to think about having someone come in to inspect it because I found that the bricks in the back are loose now. No morter seems to be left in them at all. Its 42 years old. I began thinking about having someone repair it. Then I started looking at those inserts and stoves.
With the present setup I'm thinking insert.
I've been reading about how the different woods burn different and have been cataloged into there BTU outputs. Alot to absorb.

lovethesea

we just had our fireplace "redone" inside. Amazing how much it needed. Found out thats how a lot of house fires start. :nope:
Do you have access to a lot of wood? I remember all of the wood we had to cut down, chop, haul, and split to use at my Dads. Between the blower on the fireplace and the franklin stove, we went through a lot of wood.
Wrasscal.....do you have soot problems at all ?

T

thomas712

Originally posted by lovethesea
Do you have access to a lot of wood?

I live in Michigan, I hope that says it all, but if it doesn't then wood is no problem.
We did have to get rid of our wood pile last year due to a bad infestation of carpenter ants, its taken us about a year to get rid of them all. Rotten little PITA's.
This is also a hopefull kind of purchase for next year maybe, so I have plenty of time to save up and do some research.

wrassecal

Wrasscal.....do you have soot problems at all ?

No soot. We do have it cleaned every couple of years. In case of creasote (sp) build up, I think. We also have no "wood smell" through the vents, just heat.

dave flood

The woodstoves now are so air tight theres no smokey smell. You can control temp. easly. Everybody has a woodstove around here.

T

thomas712

we just had our fireplace "redone" inside. Amazing how much it needed. Found out thats how a lot of house fires start. :nope:

What did they do to it besides clean the chimney?

lovethesea

I don't know the tech term...but they chiseled out a lot of the mortor (what was left of it :eek: ) just in the firebox and then put new stuff in between the cement blocks. I think its like tuckpointing. Then we have a chimney sweep come out every other year.

lovethesea

here is what the bill says they did......
******** firebox: Fill in loose or missing mortar joints with an alsey refractory mortar.

dave flood

I clean my chiminey twice a year or if I have wet wood im burning I clean it more often. Im not sure what you call the cleaner, its a thing that looks like a porkepine on a rod, I put a long wire on one end to pull & the rod on the other end to push it through the top of the chiminey. You have to take apart the chiminey down by the stove topull it through. After a few times its no big deal.

T

thomas712

alsey refractory mortar.

Hmmm, I looked that stuff up...good for 2200 degrees, like I said I can't see any morter in my fireplace bricks anymore, so there will be no using it this year.
I don't want to wind up like this

[hr]
>

lovethesea

Thats what the tuckpointing guy said. Thats how a lot of house fires start when the hot embers slip into those open cracks. Then they smolder.....:nope:
2200 degrees? :scared: I guess thats good huh? Is that how hot the firebox can get I wonder?