Anybody dosing sulphur/ running reactors?

reefnut

Haven't heard of this one yet... what is the sulpher for??
I know some sulpher is added when I use epsom salt for magnesium!!

tony detroit

I caught an issue of a friend's euro magazine that did some conclusive analysis and testing of the addition of sulfur in closed systems. It brought the nitrate in a 300gal shark tank down close to 100ppm. They were dosing it, but H and S makes a sulfur reactor, more less a nitrate reactor, but you don't supplement with bacteria additive, etc. like the ones we have seen in the states where you more less just grow a bacteria culture to eat it. This is a whole different approach with the same idea focused in mind.
I forget the chemistry behind it, but the sulphur bonds with nitrate forming nitrogen gas, leaves behind another sulfur by-product, I think sulfur gas, not sure. I'm no chemist and the article was a bit lengthy, so the above data could be way off. Anyhow it sounded like a very good idea. I'm trying to get my new reef up and running at it's very best and was just thinking about one of these.
I like the H and S. I think Schuran and Knopp make them as well.

reefnut

I tell yea what, those Europeans are on the ball!! I'll have to look into also, sounds interesting.

tony detroit

Originally posted by tony detroit
I forget the chemistry behind it, but the sulphur bonds with nitrate forming nitrogen gas, leaves behind another sulfur by-product, I think sulfur gas, not sure.

Correction, it is sulfuric acid. This could be beneficial in 2 ways:
1. You could use it as feed water for a calcium reactor, or use it in a seperate canister to help dissolve aragonite/CC.
2. You could offset pH rise from kalkwasser addition
3. If it gives off enough nitrogen gas, it could prove very effective as compared to sleeping medications....

tony detroit

Originally posted by ReefNut
I tell yea what, those Europeans are on the ball!!

I know. They've been way ahead of us for years now. Skimmers, reactors, etc. They smoke us. Probably because their governments leave them with money to spend and tinker with. My new H and S skimmer is kick *** and taking names. Too bad I couldn't get a US version like it. Only the Deltec came close, and the ER recircs are hard to get and I needed a skimmer pronto.

scary

Tony ,
I see you are from Novi, MI , I am from Wixom and am having a hard time finding a good LFS. Were do you recommend?

tony detroit

Best bet for close to Wixom would be Fish Doctors in Canton, Choice Aquariums in Farmington Hills, The Fish Tank in Wayne, Preuss Animal House in Haslett, or Pet Connection in Livonia.