Anybody exercise? Do you use supplements/energy bars/shakes?

crimzy

I have never used any additional supplements before or after my workout. Yesterday, I was hungry before working out so I ate a couple of protein bars. I don't remember what kind they were but they were called "Core Strength" or something like that. Well, the taste was coming back up on me throughout my whole workout and they sat in my stomach like lead weights.
Anybody use anything to increase strength, stamina, muscle definition or anything else? Just curious.

stdreb27

Actually when I was working out for baseball, and running miles a day, we'd use caffeine as a pick me up alot of caffeine, actually, most of these "protien bars" work for what they do, however they aren't ment for aid in working out. Just to help you reach your potien goals for each day. That aren't laden with fat.

devil dog

About an hour before i work out i will take an energy bar... If i don't i will only get about half of the work out. BUt i think some of that is in my head

m0nk

I only eat a protein bar every now and again, and only to help build muscle mass. The ones I eat are Cliff bars, and I never eat during/before a workout, just for the reason you describe; it's water only until after.

jmick

Before every workout I drink a 16oz cup of coffee with sugar and add 5 grams of creatine monohydrate -- it gives me the energy I need and the creatine will give you a faster recovery time.
Only way to get really good definition is to lower your body fat, so eat well.

kingsmith

You definatly don't want to eat too many protein bars especially before you work out. Protein supplements are best used( unless you want to pointlessly bulk up) to aid in your muscle recovery after a workout so try eating one after to help. There are alot of energy bars out there that are good for before and during but unless you are really pushing yourself or a giant one before and nothing during is best. Proper hydration and electrolytes are your best bet. I use energy bars to meet my 5 smal meal a day reg but that is hard to keep up. Usually the last thing I eat is a 1 pm lunch before my first workout which consist of at least 45 mins of jump roping at around 4:45. If you lack the energy you will know its a kin to feeling like you will pass out, but the key to good exercise is to push yourself.
Though it is dumb I have been a pack a day smoker for years and though I feel like death would be better I always push myself to complete my exercise and maybe curve the damage I am doing

nano reefer

i do a protein shake for breakfast, and when i work out at the gym i use Creatine. i usually work out fall-spring. the summer is for... not working out

jmick

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2704971
i do a protein shake for breakfast, and when i work out at the gym i use Creatine. i usually work out fall-spring. the summer is for... not working out

I agree 100% on the fall - spring is the time to work out...summer is for the pool!

kingsmith

How about that, the more you exercise the more you can drink????? its a fact it takes longer for alchol to pass through your muscle than your fat. Thats right the leaner you are the more you can party. Personnally I always exercise for two reasons one so that when I do I am in shape and its easier, second so I can party harder

skipperdz

for mornings i have oatmeal and yogurt and about 20minutes after workout ill have a protein shake. then for dinners i stick to fish/chicken and veggies. its bland but its the only way to keep the weight off. cant use to much seasoning since they are loaded with salt so a lil pepper and im good to go.

el guapo

do some resarch into energy drinks . I usually have a no fear mother load before working out and it helps with energy levels with out giving a jittery feeling . I will also eat a clif bar afterwards to help replenish some energy .

bgbdwlf2500

protein after your workout is all you need. believe me, i used to be huge.... just now getting back in the gym been 3 days in a row...
but that being said, it all depends on what youre trying to do. if you want to be huge then you need protein. if you just want to tone up you shouldnt need it...
also the main reason for after is so you dont feel sick while your work out...i work hard enough that if i had a protein shake or something to eat i would for sure be letting it all go during the workout...lol

nano reefer

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2705435
also the main reason for after is so you dont feel sick while your work out...i work hard enough that if i had a protein shake or something to eat i would for sure be letting it all go during the workout...lol
yeah, i do like 5 games of racquetball and then lift for 1-2 hrs, and if i dont have some sort of protein (shake or 1/2 cup of peanut butter) right after i get very queezy.

mimzy

I do lots of yoga - it's all isometrics & flexibility. and the only "supplement" I take is a banana before and after every class b/c potassium helps w/muscle function & health.

mimzy

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2705348
When I used to go to the gym I'd have a cup of cottage cheese with pineapple. I would swear by that.
this is my favorite breakfast EVER!!! canned peaches are awesome w/cottage cheese as well!