Anybody following the LHC? (Large Hadron Collider)

rylan1

I've read about it.. and seen something on it on History Channel... we have one on a smaller scale in U.S..
But what are the benefits of this... they are trying to recreate conditions, which is all theory, of the Big Bang... I see potentially more negatives to this experiment than positives.... What if a black hole was created... or have any of you seen "The Mist"... not saying that stuff really exists... but I think sometimes our curiosity is to blame for some of the worst things in human history... people that just wanted to see if they did this.... what would happen.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Rylan1
http:///forum/post/2753429
I've read about it.. and seen something on it on History Channel... we have one on a smaller scale in U.S..
But what are the benefits of this... they are trying to recreate conditions, which is all theory, of the Big Bang... I see potentially more negatives to this experiment than positives.... What if a black hole was created... or have any of you seen "The Mist"... not saying that stuff really exists... but I think sometimes our curiosity is to blame for some of the worst things in human history... people that just wanted to see if they did this.... what would happen.
There are several super colliders of varying sizes in the US. This is just a ramped up one.

One of my favorite things about Terminator 3 is when they are in the super collider and they kill the terminator

rylan1

This one is like 3x larger than ones in us... I guess ones here may not be large enough to reach speeds they are looking for.

stdreb27

I'm not horribly worried about it, because you can't recreate the big bang, something that has never happened. But that is just my opinion. It is just some theory, that is as unprovable as intelligent design. It just fits the atheistic views of the "science" community.
And if you want to look from this from a "christian" perspective. I don't think that man would be able to destroy themselves. Remember the tower of babel? They were trying to reach God. And well that didn't go well for them.

rebelprettyboy

The largest one in the US is in California?
Did anyone hear anything about it today? It was on the radio, but I turned it off

jerthunter

Forget about the LHC, I'm still freak out about all the computers whose calender's don't go beyond 1999.... Come 2000, we're doomed!!!!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2753455
Did anyone hear anything about it today? It was on the radio, but I turned it off
I'm not entirely sure, but that is where I'd thought it was.

harlikwin

Addressing the Black Hole concern: the creation of a small black hole would devour our planet with such a powerful gravitational pull that it wouldn't need any time to grow, BUT it takes a tremendous amout of energy to create a black hole. Typically a black hole is formed by a Supernova caused by a dying star, unless it formes a neutron star, but that's a whole other animal. I don't see it being possible that we can recreate this sort of event however, until our sun creates it for us. So I don't think we need to worry about that. Can we still be destroyed by some other herculian

[hr]
up? Of course we can, and in all likelihood will be! In a long enough timeline everything dies. Can we spend money on better things? Yes, but people are selfish and too concerned with contributing money toward what is more interesting and gets more attention than on what is most beneficial. There's actually a website where some philanthropists and social science people got together and put together a practical list of ways to make the world a better place. One thing was providing iodize salt to underdeveloped regions, and it was a problem that causes disease and affects millions of people, but could be solved with about 15 million bucks or something like that. In a place where a billionaire could knock out a few things on a checklist that would save millions of lives you have to wonder how out of touch we become when we become so concerned with our own business that we just don't care. Maybe it's just the way it works and people need to die to accomodate our ridiculously growing population. Anyway.

1knight164

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2753455
I believe the largest one is Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, IL. It's the most powerful but is set to shut down in 2010.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Harlikwin
http:///forum/post/2753648
Addressing the Black Hole concern: the creation of a small black hole would devour our planet with such a powerful gravitational pull that it wouldn't need any time to grow, BUT it takes a tremendous amout of energy to create a black hole. Typically a black hole is formed by a Supernova caused by a dying star, unless it formes a neutron star, but that's a whole other animal. I don't see it being possible that we can recreate this sort of event however, until our sun creates it for us. So I don't think we need to worry about that. Can we still be destroyed by some other herculian

[hr]
up? Of course we can, and in all likelihood will be! In a long enough timeline everything dies. Can we spend money on better things? Yes, but people are selfish and too concerned with contributing money toward what is more interesting and gets more attention than on what is most beneficial. There's actually a website where some philanthropists and social science people got together and put together a practical list of ways to make the world a better place. One thing was providing iodize salt to underdeveloped regions, and it was a problem that causes disease and affects millions of people, but could be solved with about 15 million bucks or something like that. In a place where a billionaire could knock out a few things on a checklist that would save millions of lives you have to wonder how out of touch we become when we become so concerned with our own business that we just don't care. Maybe it's just the way it works and people need to die to accomodate our ridiculously growing population. Anyway.
Well they are playing with fission, what the sun is made of.
Question, have they ever actually proved a black hole or is it still a generally accepted theory.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2753684
Question, have they ever actually proved a black hole or is it still a generally accepted theory.
This depends on what you consider proof, but yeah its pretty much accepted as fact.

nordy

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2753684
The existence of a black hole can't technically be "proved" because no light or other type of radition can escape it so we can not possibly "see" one or what it is doing. What we (meaning the science guys in the white coats, not working class dweebs like me) do is infer the existence of a black hole by analyzing rotational dynamics of large rotating masses (meaning galaxies) and then figuring out what type of central mass can attract and hold in gravitational equilibrium all the stars, gas, and the long theorized but not seen cold dark matter (Tau, muon, and electron neutrinos and their anti particles are a candidate for the CDM). Then there are the supposed graviton, don't even get me started there, oy my head hurts from them.
So yeah, most of what we know about black holes is comes from theory, but there has been a lot of observational science that confirms the existence of black holes-the science predicts, and we observe, and the science is confirmed. Most of the time. Our galaxy has a supermassive black hole at it's center with the mass equivalent of a few million of our suns. Looking at the big ol' picture, black holes fit the data set.
There is a situation where a rotating black hole can give off observable radiation as it's angular momentum is converted as it slows down and changes into a Swarzschild black hole from which nothing is emitted and about which nothing can be directly observed.
Then there are the "big bang" black holes also called primordial black holes that were formed at the beginning and are what some fear could be formed during the incredibly high energies and densities that will result from a fully functional LHC. These black holes are small, and small in a way that can not be adequately described, but do have the potential to accumulate matter and eventually grow to a size that means something to us, creatures who live in and are influenced by classical mechanics. Not at all likely, but can not be dismissed.
Well, in the end, all this and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11 tomorrow morning but black holes are real, they do exist, and are part of the way the universe is unfolding to us as we explore its mysteries.
Excuse me now while i go clean out the protein skimmer-it's filthy.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am a strong supporter of throwing money at science, and especially space science, but to me, this thing was just a big waste of money. I mean, couldn't all those millions be put toward getting humans to Mars or something like that??

keri

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2752521
Some people say that if black holes are successfully produced that the earth itself could be devoured by it.
I don't think that will happen, but I do feel that we are playing with fire here.

This thing SCARES me....

jmick

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2754034
I am a strong supporter of throwing money at science, and especially space science, but to me, this thing was just a big waste of money. I mean, couldn't all those millions be put toward getting humans to Mars or something like that??
What exactly would this achieve for mankind?

1knight164

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/2754161
This thing SCARES me....
If it's any consolation, scientists don't expect a black hole because, like Nordy explained, it takes a tremendous amount of energy. IF
one is produced, it will last only "a thousand of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second" or something like that. Again, just theory. Who knows what will really happen.

moneyman

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2754034
We are going to Mars and beyond ... see the collider on the base ?